Three new RSOs approved at USG meeting

By Luke Nozicka

The Undergraduate Student Government approved three new registered student organizations at their Tuesday night meeting.

USG approved Alpha Sigma Pi and the St. Louis Area Undergraduate Research Symposium as RSOs as recommended by the International Affairs Committee, USG senator Christopher Wheetley said.

After much debate, the Senate approved Styling for a Cause as an RSO, which was not suggested by the IAC.

Adrian Miller, president of USG, said he challenges the Senate to grow as the university transitions to a new administration. He said it must work with Student Involvement and Leadership Development.

Miller said, USG is considering moving their two-week meetings from Tuesday to Thursday nights.

It was also announced the Senate is forming an External Affairs Committee.

Treasurer Cameron Shulak, a junior from Louisville, Ky. studying aviation, said USG’s financial balance was more than $50,380 in fall and approximately 30,000 is left to allocate this semester, in addition to the minimum $5,000 safety net.

“We (heard) all the requests for events through the end of March tonight and we will be moving forward after that obviously,” he said.

Shulak announced that last semester USG allocated funds for 24 groups and has already allocated 15 this semester.

“That obviously doesn’t include any of the groups that received through spring allocations at the end of last fiscal year,” he said. “We’re looking at effectively 70 or 80 that we funded this year, which is a pretty terrific number.”

USG approved the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers request of $5,000. It also approved the Sigma Pi request of $1,000 for an event benefitting Wounded Warriors Project and the SIU Veterans Services. It will feature guest speaker Rep. Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill.

The Morris Library Student Ambassadors and Delta Phi Delta Dance Fraternity Inc., did not become RSOs.

USG was set to introduce two new senators, but because they were not in attendance, the motion was tabled for next meeting. Senator Nick Roberts, an undeclared freshman from Greenville, was elected into USG’s Finance Committee.

“To be at the point we are with our finances certainly makes me proud… We have a surplus of money to be able to hopefully roll over to next year,” Miller said.

The meeting began with a moment of silence for Pravin Varughese, the SIU student found dead Tuesday.

Luke Nozicka can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter at @LukeNozicka, or 536-3311 ext. 268.