The man in the bow tie lives on

The man in the bow tie lives on

Barbara Lesar, right, of Carbondale, chats Monday with John S. Jackson, editor of the book “The Essential Paul Simon: Timeless Lessons for Today’s Politics,” next to a caricature of late Illinois politician Paul Simon during a book signing at the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute. Jackson said the book is a way to preserve Simon’s legacy. A small facet of Simon’s legacy revolves around a bow tie, his eventual trademark. Jackson said the trademark was actually an accident. ”A newspaper man started identifying him as ‘the guy with the bow tie,’” Jackson said. “Simon thought, ‘Well, everyone needs a personal signature,’ and he started consistently wearing bow ties.” The trademark carried throughout his career and after his death, and the water tower near his Makanda home donned a bow tie in his honor. Trademarks aside, however, Jackson said Simon was a remarkable human being, politician and public servant. He served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1975 to 1985, the U.S. Senate from 1985 to 1997, and ran for the 1988 Democratic presidential nomination. Simon also founded the SIU Public Policy Institute in 1997 and taught classes on politics, history and journalism. The Paul Simon Public Policy Institute was named in his honor after he died in 2003. ”In an era when we are cynical about Illinois politicians, he was a great example of honesty and integrity,” Jackson said. TIFFANY BLANCHETTE | DAILY EGYPTIAN

Photo taken by Tiffany Blanchette of the Daily Egyptian