Syllabus portal could be beneficial

By Trey Braunecker

Staff, students: Early online access might help in class selection

As class registration continues, students could use some help steering clear of classes that could be more or less than they bargain for.

Colleges nationwide, including John A. Logan, started an initiative to move course syllabuses online so students can view class information before registration. A USA Today College article highlighted the University of Miami, which could also add an online syllabus collection soon. The report showed college students who signed up for certain classes without any prior course knowledge were disappointed the material did not reflect what they expected, and they could use the syllabus to avoid classes that might not click with them.

Although SIU has taken steps to give students class information before registration, some students and staff said an online syllabus collection would be helpful.

Steven Esling, geology department chair, said while he has seen students drop geology classes for various reasons, students who drop after reviewing the syllabus hasn’t been much of an issue. The university makes syllabus information available to students who inquire, he said.

“We have had that option for about 20 years or more, so students have always had access to the syllabus when they need it,” he said. “Now, whether they know it is here and try and take advantage of that is a different story. Students can always look at a syllabus and decide to drop a class if they want.”

Syllabuses can be changed depending on what the teacher considers important course material. However, he said an online syllabuses initiative would be convenient for the student body, even with potential changes and the option for students to ask for them.

“It would be more easy for students to access their class schedule, especially if it is all in one area,” he said. “I know there are some faculty who view their syllabus as intellectual property, and they do not want it to be public information, but I have not heard my faculty say they would be opposed to posting it online.”

While the university has made syllabuses available for students through department offices, a different area college has taken its syllabuses online.

Steve O’Keefe, John A. Logan College director of college relations, said his college’s online syllabus preview program has helped students gain better insight into classes and the material covered. He said the college’s online syllabus portal helps students learn what is expected of them for the semester as well as for any upcoming courses.

“It is convenient, because students know what they need prior to taking the class,” he said. “It allows them to go ahead, get their textbooks and know their schedule before they even enter the classroom.”

O’Keefe said the program has helped his college’s students, and several SIU students agreed such a program would also help them too.

Michael Kowalenko, a junior from Palatine studying photojournalism, said classes can be overwhelming on the first day. He said the only insight he receives before enrolling in a particular course comes from friends who have taken it before.

“My friends can sometimes give me an idea of what the workload is, but most of the classes that I do not know anything about, I walk in, a teacher will hand me a syllabus and I think, ‘Oh yeah, there is a lot more than I thought there would be,’” he said.

He said reviewing a syllabus before a class starts could help students better understand their commitments to each one.

“Assuming that a syllabus is up to date with the most current material in the class, I think that having the option to view your syllabus ahead of time would be a fantastic idea, because you know what you are doing ahead of time, and you can schedule classes accordingly,” he said.

Stephen Shannon, a senior from Chicago studying sports administration, said he has had classes where the syllabus lacked all the necessary information to gauge how much he would enjoy them.

“I have had some syllabi that were beneficial to me, … but there are some classes where I sign up, get the syllabus and read the description for the class and when I get there, it is completely different than what I expected,” he said.