Swimmer qualifies for Olympic trials

A Saluki swimmer has qualified for the Olympic trials for the first time in 12 years.

Junior Justin Wolfe’s time in the 100-meter butterfly at an independent meet in Nashville, Tenn., Saturday made him the first Saluki to meet or surpass the qualifying time since Matt Munz in 2000.

“Once Justin sets out to do something, nothing stops him,” coach Rick Walker said.  “What sets him apart is that he sets his sights higher than most people. He focuses on the long term and is internally driven.”

Walker said Wolfe’s continuous work in the off season allowed him to swim a 55.01 time in the long-course 100-meter butterfly, beating the qualifying standard time of 55.29.

Wolfe has made first-team All-Conference twice in since being redshirted as a freshman. He won three individual Mid-American Conference titles, won 29 individual races and made the honorable mention Academic-All Conference selection in 2011 during his time at SIU. Wolfe will return this fall for his senior season as a two-time defending MAC champion in the 100-yard butterfly.

About Caleb Motsinger

Caleb Motsinger can be reached at cmotsinger@dailyegyptian.com or 536-3311 ext. 269.