Sugar and Spice September 5, 2013

Sugar and Spice September 5, 2013

By Sabrina Imundo

Hello all!

This week’s recipe can be done on the grill or in the oven. This is a wonderful recipe that my father came up with a few years back. Please note the the more Spiracha you use, (on or in the loaf,) the dish will be spicier.

Side dishes: vegetables are great for grilling; corn for example can be dressed up with butter and a number of spices or seasonings, fresh or dried.

Spicy Grilled Meatloaf 

Time: 70 minutes if baking;

45 minutes if grilling

Servings: 8

Cost per serving is

less than $5.

Ingredients 

2 pounds ground beef; 80 percent lean or higher

1 cup of chopped onion

2 eggs

1 cup bread crumbs

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 cup Spiracha chili sauce

2 tablespoons brown sugar

4 tablespoons brown or Dijon mustard (Don’t have either mustard? Use the mustard recipe below.)

MUSTARD RECIPE 

2 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard 

1 tablespoon honey 

1/2 tablespoon vinegar (apple cider is recommended but can be substituted) 

A few drops of Tabasco or Louisiana style hot sauce 

Pinch of salt 

Pinch of pepper 

Pinch of onion powder 

Pinch of garlic powder 

Combine all ingredients for the mustard in a small bowl and mix well. 

Prepare grill for direct cooking at medium heat. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl mix together all ingredients. Place on a 12 inch by 18 inch sheet of aluminum foil and shape into a rectangular shape one and a half to two inches thick. When grill is ready carefully flip loaf onto grill from the aluminum foil. (Do this in one fluid motion where you turn the foil upside down in order to put meatloaf on the grill.) After meat is on the grid discard your foil. Cover the grill and let cook for 10 minutes over the medium hot coals. After 10 minutes use two large spatulas to carefully flip loaf over. Spread Spiracha or ketchup or a mix of both on the loaf; be warned, if you spread Spiracha over the loaf it will produce an extremely spicy loaf. Cover the grill again and let cook for another 10 minutes, then remove loaf, slice and serve.

Notes: You will want your raw loaf to be extremely firm. To check this attribute, try to hold as much of it in you hand  to where some of the loaf is hanging off the end of your hand. If the meatloaf breaks apart it is not firm enough. Add more bread crumbs until it is firm enough as determined by the

above method.

You may also bake this in the oven. Do do so, preheat your oven to 350º F. Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl mix together all ingredients, form into a loaf and place the in an oven safe dish. Let bake for 60 minutes; 10 minutes until the end of baking spread Spiracha or ketchup or a mix of both on the loaf. Slice and then serve when done baking.