Sugar and Spice March 4, 2013

Sugar and Spice March 4, 2013

By Sabrina Imundo

Ham Apple Turnovers

Minutes: 15 Servings: 4

Ingredients 

4 pre-made apple turnovers

2 packages of Buddig ham or similar deli ham

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3.2 oz regular apple sauce

1 (.4 oz) can of diced green chillies

Shortening

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat cookie pan with shortening; set aside.

Using a knife, slice open the apple turnovers length wise and scoop out the filling into a small bowl. Add the cinnamon, apple sauce and green chillies to the filling; mix well and set aside.

Evenly distribute ham among the apple turnovers; fold ham slices in half and place in each turnover. Evenly divide the filling mix among the turnovers.

Place on baking sheet and bake for five minutes.

Meal Idea 

The red bell peppers in my dad’s potato side dish will add complementary color to your plate. This dish can be made in the oven or on the grill but will take up to an hour in the oven or 45 minutes on the grill. Instructions will follow the oven version; grill variation follows. You will need: four medium sized potatoes, washed, one yellow onion, one red bell pepper, salt to taste, pepper to taste, oregano to taste, and olive oil or butter. (Use butter if you plan on grilling.) Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly cover the bottom of a two-quart oven safe baking dish with olive oil or butter. Set aside. Peel and slice potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Slice onion and the red bell pepper into bite-sized pieces. Mix ingredients in the prepared baking dish and add salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Cover dish with lid or foil, and bake for 45-60 minutes. When prepairing this dish for the grill, place all ingredients on a large piece of foil that can be wrapped closed. Use four tablespoons of butter, not olive oil for this method. You will add the butter last, putting it on top of the other ingredients before wrapping. Cook package over direct heat for 30-45 minutes.