Sugar and Spice April 11, 2013

By Sabrina Imundo

Meal Idea 

Why not pair up the steak dish with some steak fries? This decently priced side dish can be made in about the same time as the steaks and can easily be spiced up. Do so by adding some of the leftover bacon bits from the steak recipe. Add some seasoned salt, dried cilantro, and chili powder to taste. Bake fries according to package directions. For added flavor, top with cheddar cheese shreads in the last few minutes of baking.

Steak with Creamy Mushroom-Bacon Sauce 

Minutes: 20  Servings: 2

Quick Tip

Steak always has been looked at as an expensive cut of meat, but it is not always the case. I have been able to find steaks in the $2 to $3 range on clearance at the Carbondale Schnucks. Save-A-Lot also has steaks at a reasonable price for a two pack.

Ingredients 

2 steaks (any kind, any size)

1 can sliced mushrooms, drained

2 tablespoons bacon pieces or bits

1/2 cup French onion dip

Seasoned Salt (optional)

Turn oven to broil and let preheat. Meanwhile, if desired, sprinkle seasoned salt onto both sides of steaks. Set aside.

In small sauce pan or skillet combine mushrooms and bacon. Let ingredients simmer on medium-high heat.

After oven is warm, and the mushrooms and bacon are on the stove, put steaks in oven to broil for 12 minutes for medium-rare, 14 for medium. (Increase time for well done.)

Once mushroom-bacon combo starts to sizzle remove from heat and place in a medium-sized bowl. Add half cup French onion dip and mix well.

After steaks have been removed from the oven, spoon desired amount of the Mushroom- Bacon sauce over the steaks. Enjoy!