Sugar and spice 2/14/13

Sugar and spice 2/14/13

By Sabrina Imundo

Tomato Basil Soup

Time: 20

Servings: 3-4

Ingredients

1 (28 oz) can reduced tomatoes in juice

1 (14.5) can vegetable broth

1/4 cup fresh basil

1 clove garlic, pressed or minced

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/4 box of small pasta

shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)**

Prepare pasta to package directions. While the water for the pasta comes to boil pressor mince garlic, place in three-quart dutch oven with one teaspoon olive oil. Saute the garlic over high heat.

When garlic turns a light golden brown turn down the temperature to medium heat and add the can of crushed tomatoes, the vegetable broth and half teaspoon of onion powder. Stir well. Pick the basil leaves off the streams, bunch the leaves together and thinly slice. Add the quarter cup of fresh basil to the soup immediately. stir well.

When pasta is done cooking, drain it then add to the soup. Let the soup cool  a bit; serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over top of serving of soup.

Pasta may soak up the liquids in the soup

This item is not factored into the cost, or cost per serving. Cost is based on three serving s and ingredients that are not considered a staple of the pantry. Staples of this column include: Soup/broths, flour, sugar, spices, brown sugar, milk, olive oil.

Quick Tip

You can purchase fresh basil at the grocery store foe this recipe. Most likely, you will find that you have a surplus amount of the herb. Finely chop the basil and pair it with some pre-cooked chicken and cooked pasta drizzled with olive oil for a more filing meal