Study Abroad program expands to Philippines

By Elizabeth zinchuk

Students will soon have more options to earn university credit around the world.

The Center for the Inclusive Excellence is sponsoring a new program, called “Global Seminar: Culture, Education, Health and Politics in Manila, Philippines” that will allow students to study abroad. Thomas Saville, Study Abroad associate director, said students pay $3,500 in expenses and leave the country from May 17 to May 31. The deadline to register is March 1, according to a CIE flier.

Peter Gitau, associate vice chancellor for student and intercultural affairs, said he encouraged the center to have the program because Sapphire Cureg, CIE director and a Phillippines native, would be an invaluable student resource.

“She’s from the Phillppines, so we wanted to utilize her experience,” he said.

Gitau said the university’s Study Abroad program reaches unique destinations such as Ghana, Europe, South America and beyond, but the Philippines is a distinct part of the world the program has not yet explored.

“I see transformation happening,” he said. “Each program is unique in it’s own way.”

Gitau said he is an advocate of studing abroad, and he wishes every student would take advantage of the opportunity.

“The Philipines is very different,” Gitau said. “So if you are able, why not explore the world?”

Thomas Saville, Center for International Education associate director, said students

of any major can join the program, and any student can receive Educational Leadership or Africana Studies elective credit if they are in good academic standing.

Saville said majors or minors such as health education and political science may be interested in the program.

“Students will get a good introduction to Philippines culture and society,” he said.

Saville said the Philippines trip may attract new students to the Study Abroad program because of its location and ability to explore a different culture.

“It attracts students all over the campus,” he said. “A part of it is that the center’s role is to try to increase opportunities for students and attract a diverse group of students.”

Saville said the program is based in Manila, but will also explore cultural landmarks such as the vice presidential palace.

“It’s a mixture of institution-based activities and student cultural programs,” he said.

Heather Hernandez, Center for Inclusive Excellence employee, said a main goal of the center is knowledge promotion of different cultures. She said the Study Abroad program is a good way to diversify knowledge.

Hernandez said the Philippines is not a common place for students to consider when evaluating study abroad options.

“I think often when people think study abroad they think popular places like England, Italty or Ireland, so we are trying to show that there are other choices out there,” she said.