Student fees may increase in the next fiscal year

By Kenneth Dixon

Members of the Undergraduate Student Government chose not to vote on a possible 3.1 percent student fee increase at the first meeting of the semester Wednesday.

At the meeting, the group discussed the proposed student fees increase, including a student activity fee increase of 3.7 percent; Student Center fee increase of 2.9 percent; student recreation fee increase of 2.9 percent; campus recreation fee increase of 3 percent; athletics fee increase of 3.1 percent; and facilities maintenance fee increase of 3.3 percent — totaling a $57.40 increase per student from current fees, including student insurance.

Auxiliary members, or representatives from each department, were asked to answer student senators’ and students’ questions about the increase of fees.

Autumn Anthony, a senior from Oak Park studying advertising, said the majority of students have no idea what an athletic fee is and what it covers isn’t always clear to students.

Lori Stettler, director of the Student Center Administrative Office, said her office is working hard to make sure facilities are energy efficient and cost aware of the services facilities provide to save money.

She said there are revenue opportunities to generate funding for the Student Center such as restaurants and the bookstore.

“We get a percentage of sales of every McDonald’s purchase,” she said.

Students asked where money is distributed and what fees cover.

Jim Hunsaker, assistant director of the Student Health Center, said there are services not funded by student health insurance because of expenses.

“It’s a cost issue. That’s why we don’t have dental benefits,” he said.

The allocation of money was also discussed at the meeting.

The USG has $11,000 left for the semester to distribute to organizations.

Following the student fee increase proposal, the proposal of funding for Critical Forum, National Association of Black Journalist week, Zeta Phi Beta, Blacks Interested in Business and a Native American student organization were brought to attention.