Student activity fee may increase

By Tai Cox

Although the university raised many student fees last spring, the Undergraduate Student Government has received a proposal to increase one specific fee that was not.

Donald Castle, Student Center programs director, went in front of the USG Tuesday night with a proposal to increase the student activity fee from $37.40 to $46. The proposal would increase the fee by creating of a separate Student Programming Portion to the student activity fee.

The student activity fee has not been raised since 2002, Castle said, but tuition and other fees were raised in May by the SIU Board of Trustees.

Castle said the proposal would address several issues and allow for improvements. He said the fee increase would ensure there is enough money for student programming events and for more large-scale and inclusive events. It would also go toward increasing student satisfaction in the quality and quantity of events offered as well as allowing more students to be successful in planning and executing programs.

“We want our students to be able to stay right here on their campus and enjoy events and not have to travel to SIUE or SEMO to get the things their campus should have,” Castle said.

The additional money from the fees would also go toward homecoming events, student and family events, outdoor festivals and events, late night programs, and special events, he said. It would also go to student-operated electronic media such as SIU radio stations and equipment for RSOs, marketing, visual arts and administration and operational expenses.

All expenses combined would total $259, 500 to be fully successful, Castle said.

“This is the right fee to fight for because it will benefit the students in the long run,” said Adrian Miller, president of the USG senate.

USG will vote on the proposal at its next senate meeting Oct. 9 in the Student Health Center auditorium.

An addition to the proposal from Student Programs, four prospective RSO’s proposals were approved. The Illinois Art Education Association, 3D Design Replication, University Honors Leadership Organization and Vietnamese Student Association are now RSOs.

The senate also approved four new senate members to be elected into the USG, who were sworn in by Brittany Greathouse, USG president.

The new senators are Joshua Walton, representing the College of Liberal Arts; Earnest Johnson, representing the College of Businesss; Sherika Facey, representing the College of Applied Science and Arts; and Desmon Walker, representing East Campus Housing.