Salukis on right track during Gladstein Invitational

The SIU track and field team continued to compete at a high level this weekend during the Gladstein Invitational.

The Salukis captured four first place finishes Friday and Saturday in the meet held in Bloomington, Ind., including first place shot throws by seniors Jeneva McCall and James “J.C.” Lambert. McCall had a throw of 57-03.75 and Lambert 57-05.75.

Coach Connie Price-Smith said her throwers, especially Lambert, continue to set a high standard for the program.

Track runners compete in a race Jan. 14 during the Saluki Open at the Recreation Center. At their most recent meet on Friday and Saturday, the Salukis won four event titles at the Gladstein Invitational in Bloomington, Ind. Nathan Hoefert | Daily Egyptian

“(Lambert) is a really dedicated hard-working individual and he trains really hard,” Price-Smith said. “I think that he is a good leader for our program.”

Senior runner Malaikah Love continued her success from earlier in the season. Love won four of the five events in the pentathlon Friday to earn a final score of 3252 points and a first place finish.

Lambert also finished first Friday in the weight throw with a 68-03.75.

Price-Smith said the Gladstein Invitational was a great way for the team to get experience against other schools besides opponents in the Missouri Valley Conference. She said the upcoming Rod McCravy Invitational in Lexington, Ky., will be a great test against some of the bigger schools in the NCAA.

“Going to Kentucky (University) you’ll see SEC schools and schools from all different conferences,” Price-Smith said. “I think it’s good for the kids to get an opportunity to compete against different levels of talents and go to bigger meets.”

Despite the team’s success during the first two meets, Price-Smith said the team still has room for improvement.

“So far this year we’re on the right track and we seem to get better meet by meet,” Price-Smith said.

Akeem Glaspie can be reached at aglaspie@dailyegyptian.com or 536-331 ext. 269.

About Akeem Glaspie

My name is Akeem Glaspie. I'm a senior Journalism major with a minor in Creative Writing. I was born in Orlando, Fla., and moved to Elgin, Ill when I was two. I'm a big sports fan who enjoys watching football, basketball and baseball. When I'm not watching sports I'm probably playing video games with friends.