SIU receives second threat

Around 2,100 students were evacuated from the Brush Tower dormitories at around 11 p.m. Thursday after the university received a second bomb threat.

The evacuation came in response to a written threat received sometime Thursday. Specific details of the threats have not yet been released.

Students were directed to the Student Center, Morris Library and the Student Recreation Center during the two-hour evacuation while the K9 bomb dogs searched the towers.

Chancellor Rita Cheng said the administration and the FBI will work closely together in the investigation following the threat.

“We will continue to take all necessary precautions to maintain a safe environment for all members of the campus community and our guests,” Cheng said Friday in an email to students, faculty and staff. “We continue to cooperate with the FBI, which is leading the investigation into the threats made against the University this week.”

The university also received a written threat around midnight Wednesday. The SIU Department of Public Safety sent a text via the SIUC alert system at 9:36 a.m. Wednesday to inform the university community that the threat was not considered credible.

Rod Sievers, university spokesman, said Sunday there were no further updates available on either threat.

Public safety officers who were on the scene Thursday declined comment.