SIU receives last of FY12 state funding

The university’s financial situation may be slightly relieved by a late state payment.

SIU received $9.5 million in state appropriations last week, which marks the last of state payments to the university for the 2012 fiscal year that ended in June. However, this is only a portion of more than $105 million in payments the state stills owes the university.

“(The state) is very behind on their payments, and it’s now December and we haven’t received very much (from) July 1 until today,” Chancellor Rita Cheng said. “We anticipate the state will pay us when they have cash to do so, so we’re managing like we have for the last couple of years.”

Cheng said the money should  have been received at the start of July but was postponed until December. Although the payment was expected to come later in the month, she said it is good to receive the funds ahead of time.

Illinois universities have seen a reduction in state funds for several years because of budget issues that have prevented it from keeping up with payments owed to public higher education.

“There is no scheduled time table for the state to pay the university,” said Rod Sievers, university spokesman.“There’s no telling when the state, or if the state really will, fulfill its obligations to the university in fiscal year ’13.”

Sievers said the funds eventually trickle down to the university, but SIU leaders must take precautions to account for the lack of money until that happens.

SIU administrators informed non-tenure track faculty of possible layoffs in an email sent Nov. 12, which stated they would lay off up to six individuals, according to Faculty Senate meeting minutes. Two non-tenure track faculty received layoff notices on Friday.

Sievers said layoffs are based on demand for the position. He said the non-tenure track faculty may not be laid off but instead may not have their contracts renewed or receive a reduction in the number of classes they can teach.

Sievers said the university has not decided if further layoffs will occur.