SIU hosts 20 students from Asia

SIU hosts 20 students from Asia

By Storey Mayer

Undergraduate students from central Asia were selected to travel overseas to experience the culture and learn the government style of the United States, particularly southern Illinois.

Five students from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey were chosen based off of their application, essay, grades, recommendation letters and interview.

“It is extremely competitive,” said John L. Foster, emeritus faculty in the Department of Political Science.

The U.S. State Department funds the program, which is a part of the study of the U.S. Institute on Government and Public Policy for Student Leaders.

The emphasis of the program is public policy making and developing world leaders. The students take multiple classes focused on enhancing their understanding of the U.S. political system.

The students reside in the dorms for the majority of the five-week stay, and often participate in off-campus activities such as zip lining, attending the Sunset Concerts, watching “Oklahoma!”, celebrating Fourth of July in Kaskaskia, volunteer work and various cultural trips to different towns and states are all a part of the experience.

“They get to do a lot of things,” Foster said. “By the end they will have visited St. Louis, Chicago, Springfield and Washington, D.C.”

For the majority of the students it was their first time in the U.S.

Burak Yazar, studying economics from Turkey, said everything in the U.S. is much larger than back home. Yazar said in the U.S. a garden is as big as a house which isn’t normal for Turkey.

“I was not nervous or scared, but so willing to come here to the U.S.,” Yazar said. “I wanted to see the process because this is a really great place to be.”

Mariam Sulkhanishvili, studying ecology from Georgia, said she has learned a lot about the U.S. political system and customs during her visit. She is sure that she will use the newfound knowledge throughout her life.

Although the main reason the students came to the U.S. is to gain a better comprehension of American politics, they have been taking note of the social comparisons as well.

“The American people are very kind to us and are very much happier than in my country,” she said. “Everyone is always smiling.”

Yazar said the best part of the U.S. is all of the big opportunities, but did not like some of the financial burdens.

“The worst thing here is that the education and health care are not free,” Yazar said. “In my country they are free.”

Sulkhanishvili does plan to pursue some form of education in the U.S. She believes that despite the cost, the education is much better here.

The 20 students will wrap up their visit to the U.S. in Washington, D.C. and depart back for their home countries July 26.

Storey Mayer can be reached at [email protected] or 536-3311 ext. 254.