Semester in photos

TOP ROW: Chris Zoeller, Jennifer Gonzalez, Remy Abrought MIDDLE ROW: Sarah Gardner, Sarah Schneider, Ian Muller BOTTOM ROW: Jake Haines, Lewis Marien, Matt Daray

Max Shackelton, 6, of Desoto, plays with a train set April 8 at the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders on campus. The center offers therapy sessions based on individual client needs including social interaction, problem solving and developing a daily routine.

SARAH SCHNEIDER DAILY EGYPTIAN

Priya Varughese attends a candlelight vigil Feb. 17 held in support of her missing brother, SIU student Pravin Varughese at Rinella Field. Friends of Pravin organized the vigil to show support for his safe return. Pravin’s mother, Lovely Varughese, was in attendance and said it means a lot that so many people attended the vigil. Pravin’s body was found in the woods along Illinois Route 13 Feb. 18.

JENNIFER GONZALEZ DAILY EGYPTIAN

Rose Clark, of Indonesia, reacts to becoming a U.S. citizen at the Lesar Law Building after living in the country for 31 years. Clark was one of 34 individuals granted citizenship after going through multiple steps, which can take months to years, such as filling out forms, going through a background check and passing an English test.

MATT DARAY DAILY EGYPTIAN

Glenn Poshard makes one of many phone calls during his last day as SIU President April 30 at the Stone Center. Poshard spent his last day with normal daily tasks such as looking through his mail and setting up appointments, but also spent the afternoon on a tour of campus saying goodbye to faculty and students.

SARAH GARDNER DAILY EGYPTIAN

Lauren Hentschel, 8, and her father, John Hentschel, of Carbondale, wait backstage April 12 during the Easter Parade Spring Fashion Show at University Mall. Hentschel said his daughter, who walked the runway on behalf of JC Penney, was nervous to take the stage. “She was really scared to go out in front of the crowd,” he said.

JENNIFER GONZALEZ DAILY EGYPTIAN

Kamdyn Mathews, 4, of Carterville, participates in an exercise during a preschool dance class March 18 at Willow Street Studios in Carbondale. Mathews’ star next to her marked her spot for the class. The preschool classes, which are for 3 and 4 year olds, teach the children to mirror the instructor’s movements, as well as basic dance techniques, including pointing their feet. The classes are held every Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. and 3 p.m., and are taught by Iris Siegel, of Cobden.

LEWIS MARIEN • DAILY EGYPTIAN

Sophomore Jonny Rigby plays singles in the number one spot for SIU men’s tennis team. Rigby has won his past four singles matches and past three doubles matches with partner Michal Kianicka. Rigby and Kianicka won the 2013 MVC Individuals Doubles Championship, the first double title in 23 years for SIU.

JENNIFER GONZALEZ DAILY EGYPTIAN

Senior infielder Jayna Spivey was honored with her first Missouri Valley Conference softball Player of the Week title April 7. Spivey set the school RBI record at 141 and is eighth in MVC history. She has also led the SIU offense in doubles per game this season.

REMY ABROUGHT DAILY EGYPTIAN

Egon Kamarasy poses for a portrait in his Carbondale home March 17. Kamarasy, a former political science professor at SIU and veteran of the Royal Hungarian Army, recently published a memoir. “The more the world changes, the more it will be the same,” Kamarasy said of recording his 95 years of life.

JENNIFER GONZALEZ DAILY EGYPTIAN

Sophomore thrower Josh Freeman broke the SIU indoor shot put record held for 30 years by his throwing coach John Smith Jan. 25 at the Notre Dame Invitational. Freeman is ranked 12th nationally and second in the Missouri Valley Conference for shot put. Freeman also qualified for the Pan-Am Junior Athletics Championships in Medellin, Columbia in 2013 and said confidence played a key role.

JAKE HAINES DAILY EGYPTIAN

Junior thrower Sophie Lozano is balancing her season with her semester course load in preparation for the Missouri Valley Conference Indoor Championships this weekend in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Lozano majors in mathematics and hopes to be an actuary upon graduation. She said she loves numbers so much she once came up with 26 reasons why 26 is her favorite number.

SARAH SCHNEIDER DAILY EGYPTIAN

Kaili Ranta, a graduate student in physics from Stillwater, Minn., has a sealant procedure Feb. 26, at the Student Health Center dental department during the Free Sealant Day semi-annual event. Free Sealant Day is organized by the SIU dental department every semester as an outreach program, which provides preventive dental care to students, Dr. Russell Klein, one of the two doctors at the dental department said.

REMY ABROUGHT • DAILY EGYPTIAN

Larry and Gina Cometto, of Coulterville, share a kiss April 20 at Bald Knob Cross of Peace in Alto Pass during the 78th – annual Easter Sunrise Service. It was the couple’s first visit to the service. “We celebrated Easter with the families yesterday,” Larry said, “So we wanted to spend today together and it’s beautiful here.”

JENNIFER GONZALEZ • DAILY EGYPTIAN

Levi Rhodes, a sophomore at Southeast Missouri State University from Jackson, Mo., walks across a slack line Feb. 28 over the pool at the Edward J. Shea Natatorium.

CHRIS ZOELLER • DAILY EGYPTIAN

Reserve Officer Training Corps cadet Joshua Kocemba, a sophomore from Lisle studying biological sciences, falls into the pool Jan. 30 at the Edward J. Shea Natatorium during the submerged equipment removal portion of the Combat Water Survival Test.

SARAH SCHNEIDER • DAILY EGYPTIAN

Mike Cantella, of Chicago-based band IndigoSun, focuses on hand placement Friday during the band’s show at Hanger 9. “We combine a lot of different sounds and a lot of different genres,” fellow band member Steve Florian said. “The goal is to make you dance.” IndigoSun blends electronic dance, funk, soul and jazz to its own unique sound, according to the band’s Facebook page.

JAKE HAINES DAILY EGYPTIAN

Lance Willbridge, a member of the Red Bus Project, sits down in between helping people find thrift clothing inside and outside of the bus March 25 in front of the Newman Catholic Student Center.

MATT DARAY DAILY EGYPTIAN

Freshman swimmer Sarah James, right, embraces senior swimmer Kristy Hinkle Feb. 15 after the women’s 200-yard backstroke during the Missouri Valley Conference Championship at Edward J. Shea Natatorium. Hinkle won the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 2:02:51. James finished the season on the first-team All-Conference roster and Hinkle garnered an Honorable Mention.

ROBERT OLSON DAILY EGYPTIAN

Freshman wrestler Will Meador of Carbondale High School, left, waits out the clock while holding down freshman Deairis Tipler of Cahokia High School Jan. 11 at the 53rd annual Murdale Wrestling Tournament at Carbondale Community High School. Meador defeated Tipler by a 9-7 decision to advance to the next round in the 132-pound tournament. The Murdale Wrestling Tournament featured wrestlers from 18 schools in the southern Illinois and St. Louis area.

LEWIS MARIEN DAILY EGYPTIAN

Freshman Kyle Landon competes in the long jump during day one of the Bill Cornell Spring Classic March 28 at the Lew Hartzog Track and Field Complex. Landon earned third place in the event with a personal best of 6.95 meters, as well as first place in the high jump in which he set a record with a clearance of 2.09 meters. The men’s track and field team took first place overall at the meet.

JENNIFER GONZALEZ DAILY EGYPTIAN

Junior guard Dawson Verhines dives for a loose ball Jan. 14 against University of Northern Iowa defenders at SIU Arena. The Salukis trailed most of the game but were able to tie the game at 66 with 29.3 seconds left to play. After a timeout, senior Desmar Jackson hit a jump shot with five seconds left to lift the Salukis to a 68-66 win over the Panthers.

CHRIS ZOELLER DAILY EGYPTIAN

Junior Jorge Cavero celebrates a point during his win against Wichita State’s Tin Ostojic April 11 at University Courts. SIU lost to Wichita State April 11 5-2 and swept Western Illinois 7-0 April 12.

SARAH SCHNEIDER DAILY EGYPTIAN

Sophomore wide receiver Billy Reed, left, and senior cornerback Brandon Willingham run drills during a morning spring practice March 28 at Saluki Stadium.

JENNIFER GONZALEZ DAILY EGYPTIAN