Screaming Owl swoops onto local music scene

By Allison Matyus

An area recording studio is looking to expand Carbondale’s music scene and give community members a chance to put their vocal talents to use.

Located on “The Island” in Carbondale next to Artistic Minds Tattoos, Screaming Owl Records has worked to make a name for itself since April 2012. Owner John Beyler said he noticed the lack of studios available for Carbondale musicians and wanted to fill that void.

“There were people’s houses, garages and private studios, but there was nothing for the public or for people who wanted to pursue music,” he said. “It was either a drive to Chicago or Memphis to get to a good studio, so it seemed like a good time to open one right here in Carbondale.”

An artist can record in the basement studio for $35 an hour. Beyler said the studio and its employees provide the knowledge and the equipment to help customers make music. He said with two isolation vocal booths, a live studio room for big bands and various instruments, the Screaming Owl has everything a musician would ever need.

“There are a lot of things that go into a recording studio and making the sound perfect, and I think we do a good job at providing that here,” Beyler said.

Screaming Owl employee Josh Combs said an artist will leave a studio session with a finished track and some added tweaks.

“For the set price you can leave with a mixed product, but if it’s something you would want to go in-depth with, like make it radio-ready, we can also do that for an extra fee,” he said. “It all depends on how much time someone is in here.”

Beyler said the studio has worked with genres and artists across the spectrum.

“So far we’ve done a lot of bluegrass and hip-hop,” he said. “The biggest person we work with right now is Project Pat from Three 6 Mafia.”

While nationally known acts are using the studio, many area artists are also taking advantage of the studio time.

Cold Pizza, a folk rock band from Carbondale, has been recording at the Screaming Owl since the beginning of the summer. Lead singer Ben Fuson said he has always been more than satisfied with the studio sessions.

“Cold Pizza has recorded in other places in the area previous to Screaming Owl opening, but none have compared,” he said. “It has a better environment for the artist all around, where the other recording studios do not.”

Screaming Owl employees are also looking to expand the studio’s name to other events. The studio collaborated with the Premiere Lounge in May to put on a show during which Project Pat performed for a packed crowd. It is also continuing to work with the Premiere Lounge for their Thursday night Talent Throwdown, a program with an “American Idol” vibe that begins this week.

“You can bring in a band, rap or sing, or even DJ, and at the end of the semester we are going to offer a record contract,” Beyler said. “We are bringing in guest judges from the industry, and then the crowd has a vote as well. So we’re encouraging people to bring their friends.”

Each genre will be judged separately at the end. Beyler hopes it is another way to get local artists out there and promote the variety of talent in Carbondale.

“A lot of local bands and artists around here have just as much talent, if not more, than bigger music scenes like Nashville,” Combs said.

In an effort to showcase local musical talent, the Screaming Owl began its weekly Sunset Showcase 7-10 p.m. Thursday at the Town Square Pavilion. Beyler said the event is free to the public, and people can come to see multiple acts with a wide range of genres.

It’s through events like the Sunset Showcase and Talent Throwdown that Beyler hopes to strengthen the city’s music scene.

“This last year, I’ve seen a lot of fire lit under people’s butts in music, which is what I like to see,” Beyler said. “We aren’t trying to be the only one doing it. We’re trying to collaborate with people so that way this town has everything.”