Sarvela addresses university

By Brent Meske

Interim Chancellor Paul Sarvela discussed SIU’s financial situation, commitment to research and focus on filling open positions during the State of the University Address Monday.

Sarvela said an increase in financial aid and enrollment contributed to a $3 million decrease in tuition revenue for fiscal year 2014.

Sarvela said tuition revenue decreased even with the minimal increase in total student enrollment partially because the university handed out more need-based tuition waivers.

“Generally, our goal will be to make cuts through administrative reductions as much as possible in order to limit reductions to academic units,” Sarvela said.

The overall operating budget for this year is $430 million, excluding the School of Medicine, Sarvela said.

Sarvela said the university’s focus on “reinvesting in research” benefits the region and the students.

He said the university has had significant success securing federal funding for research.

“Overall research funding for fiscal year 2014 totaled $61.67 million,” he said.

Sarvela said this figure was relatively constant over the previous year.

“Externally sponsored research provides jobs, research and training opportunities for more than 1,000 undergraduate students and twice that many graduate students each year.”

Sarvela said the university is also focused on filling open positions throughout the university.

The university has lost a number of senior faculty members because of retirements. However, the university is recruiting faculty to fill positions in high-demand areas including a national search for a new director of admissions.

“We have recently filled 34 tenure track or tenured positions across campus. Another 41 have been approved for next year,” Sarvela said.

Dr. Harold Bardo, who recently retired from the School of Medicine, has been asked by Sarvela to return on a part-time basis to assist the admissions team with management guidance.

Sarvela said the university is also looking to fill the director’s vacancy in the Registrar’s Office. Tamora Workman, director of transfer student services, currently holds the position.

Sarvlea said he is appointing a task force to determine if the university is efficient, effective, and answers the needs of the students.

“Dean Mickey Latour has agreed to chair this task force,” he said. “Invitations to participants will be issued shortly.”

Sarvela said it is time to evaluate the structure of the university and the units that serve students to compare it to current trends and best practices.

“We will continue to look at ways we can be more efficient and effective financially and operationally,” he said. “I welcome your suggestions and ideas.”