Salukis fight off Panthers, leash Bulldogs

By Tyler Dixon

Tyler Dixon

Daily Egyptian

The SIU volleyball team only dropped one set during the two weekend matches and beat Northern Iowa on Saturday for the first time since 1993.

The Salukis entered Friday’s match against Drake at 3-3 in the Missouri Valley Conference and were looking to gain momentum. Drake came into Davies Gym without winning a set in MVC play this season.

Drake started the first and second sets on quick runs but the Salukis had different plans for the rest of the match.

The Bulldogs led in the first 5-1 but with six ties and only two lead changes. SIU took the first set 25-16. After opening a big lead in the second, the Salukis were up 24-17 and were on the verge of going up two sets to none. Drake was able to get four points which caused SIU Coach Justin Ingram to settle his team down and call a timeout. The Salukis didn’t waste time and won the set 25-21.

SIU opened with a 20-11 lead in the third set and were ready to send the fans home happy. They came away with the set win, 25-16 and the sweep.

Senior outside Jessica Whitehead finished with 13 kills while four Salukis finished with double-digit digs. Sophomore middle blocker Taylor Pippen had 9 kills with a .375 hitting percentage.

Pippen said her team was ready to face the Panthers the next night.

“We have a lot of momentum, we really want to beat Northern Iowa,” Pippen said. “They’re a strong opponent.”

Pippen was right. Her team was up to the challenge and picked up a win they haven’t gotten in 20 years.

The Salukis grabbed an early lead in the first and didn’t look back for the rest of the set. They had the lead the entire set and took the first 25-18. Northern Iowa wasn’t able to get a lead in the second set and fell 25-19.

The first lead of the match for the Panthers came with the first point in the third set. SIU wasn’t able to get the sweep two matches in a row and dropped the third set, 25-20.

SIU faced a 14-8 deficit in the fourth set and things were looking bleak but a few quick points and five serves by freshman setter Meg Viggars put the Salukis in a position to win the match.

The match ended with the 21st kill of the night for Pippen and SIU took the fourth 25-23. It is the second time in the last week Pippen has set a new career high in kills. She also finished with a .545 hitting percentage.

Whitehead had another match of double-digit kills with 13 and senior outside hitter Elly Braaten tallied 12 kills. Junior defensive specialist Alex Rivera played her position well with 23 digs.

“I give a lot of credit to Northern Iowa, they stuck it out in a tough environment,” said Coach Justin Ingram in a Saluki Athletics press release.”Tonight we were able to hang tough and I am really proud of that.”

The Salukis have only one match next weekend as they travel to Evansville, Ind., to face the Evansville Aces on Friday.

Tyler Dixon can be reached at [email protected] or 536-3311 ext. 269.