Salukis drop first three matches of season

By Aaron Graff

SIU volleyball won 10 percent of its sets this weekend on the way to three straight losses.

The Salukis (0-3) started their season in the Illini Classic with matches against California State University, Long Beach (1-2), the No. 11 University of Illinois (3-0) and the No. 20 University of North Carolina (2-1).

“Taking one on the chin is never fun,” coach Justin Ingram said. “Regardless of what rank or what kind of talent is across the net.”

Friday the Salukis opened the season against UNC. The Tar Heels swept the Salukis 3-0 by winning 28-18 in the first two sets and 25-23 in the third set.

“The third set we started kicking it into high gear a little bit more, keeping it at a higher level and feeling more comfortable as a group,” Ingram said.

Junior hitter Taylor Pippen led the team with eight kills, while sophomore setter Hannah Kaminsky had 15 of the team’s 27 assists. Redshirt freshman outside hitter Andrea Estrada and freshman Abby Barrow both recorded seven kills.

“They were some tough teams,” Pippen said. “We were able to hang with them and if we play that way throughout the season, we’ll be at the top of conference.”

Saturday, the Salukis played U of I and Long Beach State.

The Illini also swept the Salukis in three sets.

SIU had a five-point lead against the Illini in the first set, but lost 25-23 after Illinois went on a five to one run. The Illini kept the momentum with 25-13 and 25-12 wins in the final two sets.

“We freaked out after the first game,” Estrada said. “It was 25-23 so we were like ‘Oh my god, we can win against them.’”

Ingram said Illinois is a poised team that makes anybody pay for their errors. The Illini also had a three-point deficit in the first set against Long Beach, before going on an eight to one run for the win. Illinois won all nine sets it played to crown them champions of the tournament.

Pippen led the team in kills with nine. Kaminsky led the team in assists with 17. Sophomore hitter/ setter Meg Viggars was second in both categories with 14 assists and eight kills.

The Salukis won their first set of the season 26-24 to open the match against Long Beach State. However, the 49ers won the next three sets to claim a 3-1 win.

“They don’t count those as far as wins though,” Ingram said. “It helped get that monkey off the back by getting just that win. We need to certainly push for more than just one set.”

Estrada led the team in kills with 10, but she also had 11 errors. Kaminsky recorded 21 assists.

“I think like a lot of first matches of the year there’s a lot to figure out,” Ingram said.

The Salukis play Middle Tennessee State University 6 p.m. Tuesday in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Aaron Graff can be contacted at [email protected], on Twitter @Aarongraff_DE or (815)-483-3781