Salukis capitalize on costly error

Salukis capitalize on costly error

By Jack Robinson

With loaded bases and SIU junior first baseman Ryan Casillas up to bat, South Eastern Missouri State freshman pitcher Tyler Thomas threw a wild pitch and gave the Salukis their seventh-straight non-conference win this season.

The SIU baseball team faced SEMO at Abe Martin Field on Tuesday. Coach Ken Henderson started junior pitcher Brad Drust against freshman SEMO pitcher Alex Winkelman in his sixth start of the season. Drust struck out one batter and allowed one earned run in five innings in a no-decision start.

The Salukis’ hitting was led by junior infielder Jake Welch who had three hits and two stolen bases in five at-bats to post a .314 seasonal batting average. Junior first baseman Ryan Casillas followed Welch and led the team with two RBIs and two hits to post a .500 in-game batting average.

Henderson said Welch has been a crucial asset to the team this year.

“He’s a guy that makes us go,” he said. “He’s the guy that sets the tone on offense. He can wreak some havoc out there and makes things happen, and he did that today.”

The Salukis have struggled in hitting this season with runners on base, and they continued that trend as they left 16 runners on base and stranded senior infielder Wes Neece four times throughout the game.

Henderson said the Salukis are stranding runners because some players attempt to do too much.

“Things are contagious offensively, and I think maybe guys are trying too hard in that situation because we haven’t been good at it,” he said.

SEMO started scoring in the top of the sixth when junior first baseman Matt Tellor hit a double down the left field line to allow sophomore infielder Jason Blum to score and take the lead 1-0.

SIU took the lead in the bottom of the sixth after a hitting streak drove in two runs.

Welch reached first base after he hit a single to center field. Senior outfielder Austin Montgomery hit a double to right field during the next at-bat to put runners on second and third base for Casillas.

Casillas singled to right field, after three pitches, which allowed both Montgomery and Jones to score and take the lead 2-1.

SIU junior relief pitcher Todd Eaton had the game in his hands in the top of the ninth inning with two outs, two runners on base and a one-run lead. Eaton threw to the left side of senior catcher Luke Mottashed, and the catcher failed to grab the ball as it passed through to allow Red Hawks sophomore infielder Andy Lennington to score the game-tying run. After the run came through, Eaton threw the final strike to SEMO junior infielder Josh Meade to get out of the inning with the score tied.

After a scoreless 10th inning, the Salukis scored the game-winning run with bases loaded and Casillas up to bat. SEMO freshman pitcher Tyler Thomas threw a wild pitch to score Welch and win the game 3-2.

The Salukis will face MVC co-leaders Wichita State University Shockers in a three-game series April 26 at Abe Martin Field. Henderson said the team would treat the MVC series as any other game this season.

“I don’t think anyone is looking at it like they are the leaders,” he said, “It’s another league game and another chance to go out and get better. We need to continue to work and get some confidence.”