Saluki skid continues to ranked team

By Melanie Early @MelanieEarlyDE, Daily Egyptian

SIU men’s basketball finds itself on the longest losing streak and worst start to Missouri Valley Conference play in Barry Hinson’s tenure at SIU.

The Salukis (7-11, 0-5) lost 67-55 to the No.13 Wichita State Shockers (15-2, 5-0) extending their losing streak to seven games. It was also the first time the Salukis dropped the first five conference games since 1987.

Hinson took the game’s first timeout within four minutes after the Shockers scored the first 9 points.

Wichita led by as many as 16 in the first half, but the Salukis went on a 7-0 run and cut the deficit to 9 points.

The Shockers picked the momentum back up and led 38-22 at the half. The Salukis did however outscore Wichita State in the second half.

SIU has recorded at least 13 turnovers in every conference game this season except tonight. The team did not have any turnovers and had more assists than turnovers for the third time this season, with 6.

Wichita State junior forward Darius Carter led the field in scoring with 25 points, going 11-for-15 from the field.

Freshman guard Deion Lavender led Southern Illinois with a career-high 15 points. Sophomore forward Bola Olaniyan followed with 12 points and 10 rebounds, his second consecutive double-double.

Junior guard Anthony Beane failed to score in the first half, but finished with 10.

The Salukis play the Loyola Ramblers (12-4, 2-2) at 5:05 p.m., Sunday at SIU Arena.

Melanie Early can be reached at [email protected]