Saluki royalty named for 2013

By Kayli Plotner

Although the SIU football team suffered a tough loss during Saturday’s Homecoming game, two students left Saluki Stadium with a win.

Seniors Jesse Cler and Brittany Greathouse were crowned the 2013 Homecoming king and queen. Both have served in many positions during their time as Salukis. Greathouse is the former Undergraduate Student Government President, while Cler is currently a Student Trustee for the SIU Board of Trustees.

Cler, a senior from Penfield studying agribusiness economics and plant and soil sciences, said he could not be more honored with the new title.

“It was overwhelming and rewarding to know that the students granted me this high honor,” he said. “I am overjoyed to represent the students again on campus, and show all students that great opportunities are indeed within reach here at SIU.”

Greathouse, a senior from Bolingbrook studying finance, said she is honored, as well as grateful and blessed to be representing her university.

“I am also glad that people came out and voted,” she said. “I feel like wherever I go, I am representing SIU and as queen more students can know me personally and I can offer them opportunities that I know of and spread the word about things going on on campus.”

While being nominated as king or queen can be considered an honor, Greathouse said the title is not just a popularity contest.

“It is about who is established on campus and for what reasons,” she said. “A student can be popular but if they are not noticed for doing something good then they would not be nominated. Being known and popular are two different things.”

Both candidates said their campaign strategy was a large part of earning their new titles. Greathouse said she used a slogan and catch phrase as well as chalking, posters, buttons, flyers, and shirts. Cler took initiative through public awareness as well.

“I reached out to as many students as possible through social media and attending public events,” he said. “I think the most successful aspect was personally emailing people and representatives of many different organizations and groups on campus. It is all about encountering the students and connecting with them on a positive level.”

The SIU campus was flooded with not only campaign material from Cler and Greathouse over the past few weeks. Clear said all 10 of the candidates had a blast over the past weeks.

“It was a friendly and respectful campaign for everyone, and was one of the greatest and most enjoyable experiences I have ever had,” he said. “It was nerve-racking standing on that field before the results were read, because all of the candidates were such great representatives of the students and very fit kings and queens.”

Marvin Cedell Dixon, a senior from Rockford studying speech communication, Cordaro McKee, a senior from Chicago studying marketing, Eli Roberts, a senior from Peoria studying economics, and Brandon Willingham, a senior from Calumet City studying journalism were also nominated for king. Mildrea Hood, a senior from Centralia studying radio television, Kaylan Mahone, a senior from Richton Park studying speech communication, Alyssa Oros, a senior from Aurora studying communications, and Emily Spenner, a senior from Nashville studying communications were also nominated for queen.