Resource centers search for coordinators

By Brent Meske

Four resource centers in the Office of the Dean of Students are looking to fill vacant coordinator positions.

The positions are open in the Office of Student Involvement, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, Hispanic and Latino Resource Center and the LGBTQ Resource Center.

Andy Morgan, acting associate dean of students, said a search committee will meet Thursday to review applications for the open Student Involvement coordinator position, who will work with Registered Student Organizations and organizes conferences. He said his goal is to bring three finalists to campus for interviews, which could take nearly two weeks.

Morgan said Benjamin Chamness is serving as acting coordinator of Student Involvement until a permanent one is hired. He said Chamness has worked 20 hours each week as extra help since June.

“The search committee reviews all the applicants and makes a recommendation on who to invite to campus for interviews,” Morgan said. “From there it goes up the chain of command to the dean of students, provost and affirmative action office. Then it comes back to me and we invite candidates.”

Morgan said he took the position as Undergraduate Student Government adviser when Bethany Wendler, former coordinator of student involvement, left in May. He said Katherine Sermersheim, interim dean of students, changed the title of the adviser for USG and Graduate and Professional Student Council from coordinator of student involvement to associate dean of students.

“[Wendler] took an opportunity at a different university for career advancement,”  Cameron Shulak, USG president said.

The Office of the Dean of Students is also looking to hire a fraternity and sorority life coordinator for one year, who will advise the Inter-Greek Council and its four sub councils. Current employees and people who do not work at the university have applied for both the student involvement and fraternity and sorority life coordinator positions.

Nathan Stephens, director of the Center for Inclusive Excellence, said the Hispanic and Latino Resource Center is reviewing three applicants, none of whom have worked at the university. He said the LGBTQ Resource Center is going through the administrative process to get advertisements placed about the vacant position. Morgan said both positions help mentor students and lead programming for heritage months.

Stephens said staff members have stepped up while the offices look for applicants to fill the positions.

“We have graduate assistants doing some of the day-to-day work,” he said. “Myself and my assistant director are having an active role in the leadership of those resource centers.”

Brent Meske can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @brentmeskeDE.