Red Devils eye first playoff berth since 1996

By Thomas Donley

On the heels of its first winning football season of the 21st century, Murphysboro High School is focused on a higher goal.

The Red Devils have their sights set on making the playoffs for the first time since 1996.

After a 5-4 campaign in 1999, Murphysboro suffered through 12 consecutive losing seasons, and five winless years.

Senior captain Daniel Bower said the difference for Murphysboro the past two years has been the effort the players have put forth.

“We had a lot of talent in the past few years, but they didn’t work hard,” Bower said. “We don’t have as much talent, but we’ve got more kids and they’re working a lot harder.”

Coach Gary Carter took over in 2011. Murphysboro’s program hadn’t finished above .500 since the Clinton administration when Carter was hired. He went to work to change the culture of Murphysboro football.

“When I came here, kids weren’t used to the way I do things,” Carter said. “They had to learn a new way of doing things and different expectations. I try to hold everybody accountable, including myself, and the kids have bought into that.”

Carter preaches focus and effort to his players, both on and off the field.

Off to a 4-2 start this year, Murphysboro is one win away from its second-straight winning season. This year, senior captain Austin Helfrich said he will not be satisfied with simply a winning regular season.

“[Last year] was special,” Helfrich said. “But obviously, [this] year we’ve got to take it to the next step and go to the playoffs.”

The Red Devils’ success in 2014 has come from their ground game. Junior Clay Rendleman leads Murphysboro with 679 rushing yards this season, but Carter keeps the attack balanced.

The Red Devils have had at least five backs record carries in every game so far, and have had four players run for at least 86 yards in a game.

Junior quarterback Braden Miller is also averaging 108.3 passing yards per game.

Murphysboro’s two losses came to Carterville and Herrin, two teams with one loss between them.

Carter said those games helped prepare the Red Devils for potential playoff matchups.

“We’re going to have to play a little bit better than what we played in those games if we want to win games like that,” Carter said. “Those are big games.”

After the 63-6 victory over Frankfort, Murphysboro will finish its season with games against three teams without winning records.

The Red Devils’ next opponent, Harrisburg, will bring its 3-3 record to Murphysboro for a week 7 matchup. The Red Devils travel to one-win Benton in week 8 and finish the regular season at home with Du Quoin, which is 3-3.

“We’ve just got to finish strong,” senior captain Austin Hoppenstedt said. “We can’t look over any team from here on out.”

If Murphysboro does finish strong, it could find itself not only playing in, but hosting a playoff game. Members of the team anticipate a large show of support from the Murphysboro community.

“I don’t think there would be a seat open, and nowhere to park,” Rendleman said. “They might be [parked] down the whole driveway.”