Quinn looks to increase MAP grants

By Christy Stewart

In the annual State of the State address last week, Gov. Pat Quinn announced his plan to double the number of Monetary Award Program grants available to Illinois students.

Quinn said the need-based MAP grants help 140,000 students go to college in Illinois. He said increasing these numbers will help mobilize the education system behind his administration’s goal to ensure at least 60 percent of the state’s adult workforce will have a degree or career certificate by 2025.

“By doubling the number of MAP scholarships, we can make sure deserving students in need are equipped to excel in the 21st century workplace,” Quinn said during the address.

Some area politicians have questioned Quinn’s statements, wondering how the governor plans to fit the increased funding into the state’s already tight budget.

Democratic State Rep. Brandon Phelps said he is in favor of the move, but he needs additional clarification about how the state will finance the increased number of scholarships.

“That’s the million dollar question,” he said. “I am totally for doubling the number of MAP grants, but I want to make sure we don’t take away from other parts of the community to fund it.”

Phelps said he is scheduled to meet with members of Quinn’s administration this week to further discuss the issue.

MAP grants are disbursed to Illinois students based on a number of eligibility requirements, including Free Application for Federal Student Aid information.

MAP grants are not loans and students do not have to repay them.

In the 2012-13 school year, SIU had 4,151 students who received MAP grants. These grants totaled more than $14.5 million according to Rae Goldsmith, chief marketing and communications officer at SIU.

“MAP grants help Illinois residents with tuition and fees,” Goldsmith said. “Any increase in the MAP program would help our students.”

In order to be eligible, a student must provide proof of citizenship, be an Illinois resident and maintain satisfactory academic progress as determined by the student’s approved Illinois college. Some non-citizens are also eligible.

A student’s eligibility for a MAP grant is determined upon completion of the FAFSA. To apply, students should fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible after Jan. 1 for the following academic year.

According to the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, the amount of each student’s grant award is determined by several factors such as calculating financial need, tuition costs and the number of credit hours for which a student is enrolled.

MAP grants are primarily funded by the state of Illinois and are paid directly to the colleges attended by MAP grant award recipients.