Pulliam Pool is a valuable community resource

Dear Editor:

Many of us were dismayed at the plan to demolish Pulliam Pool and spend $7 million for other facilities to replace that location. We feel it would cost far less to maintain the existing facility.    This is the only warm-water pool in the Carbondale area. Furthermore, it has a warmer therapy pool at the site.

These pools are used by the following groups: Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Program, Adaptive and Inclusive Recreation Program, clients of NeuroRestorative (formerly CLS), Autism Center (inactive at present), families of students, staff, and faculty, etc. The noon free swim accommodates students, staff, faculty, emeritus faculty, alums and older individuals who pay a Recreation Center membership. Many swimmers during the noon swim use the warm water for rehabilitation of knee and hip replacements, cancer and heart conditions, as well as fibromyalgia and arthritis. Many “baby-boomers” will continue to need this low impact activity.

Furthermore, the pool is used for swim lessons for young children and the Saluki Swim Team. It is vital to provide these active, healthy fitness alternatives to encourage young children to establish life long physical activities and prevent obesity and diabetes. The warm water is essential for young swimmers. The pool also serves as a training ground for recreational therapy students, student lifeguards, swim instructors, coaches and graduate assistants.

Most of these activities provide revenue to the university and all would be willing to pay reasonable fees to continue use of this valuable community resource. There are hundreds of constituents who would be impacted by the closure of this pool.

Sincerely,

Marjorie J.Malkin

professor of therapeutic recreation