Psychedelic rock SPREAD across two nights

By Jake Saunder

Some musicians have only one home, with a small group of followers and a sound that doesn’t extend far beyond that base. 

Then there are bands that pursue success in every endeavor and strive for connection. Sometimes, those connections can thrive far from home.

SPREAD falls in the later category, stretching its wings and traveling to pull in a fan base beyond southern Illinois.

SPREAD began in Carbondale in 2008 and moved its project to Chicago in 2010. This transition did not diminish its success or reputation; on the contrary, it continues to soar and grow.

The four-piece band consists of Colin Finn, bass, Dave Petrizzo, guitar, Joe Kentos, keyboard, and Patrick Reynolds on the drums.

“We all went to school [at SIU] many moons ago, and I met Dave at a party playing guitar, started jamming and he said he had a drummer friend named Pat and we started playing with him at house parties and that’s how it went,” Finn said.

The band said each member had similar aspirations.

“I think everyone was interested in starting a band, that’s the only reason I went to school there, was to start a band, and Collin came with his bass, Pat with drums and seemed like everyone had the same goals,” Petrizzo said.

The band members hold a genuine love for the music. Each member’s varying taste melds a fresh touch into every project.

“The sound that we make is a collective,” Petrizzo said. “We all share a lot of similarities in stuff that we like and it comes together, same with the influences that we don’t all share that is also thrown in the mix.”

Reynolds said each member grew up seeing and listening to music. When they finally had the chance to form a band, it was a gratifying experience bringing new and original music to an audience.

The band found its Carbondale fan base has remained loyal and is always interested in watching performances. SPREAD will play Hangar 9 May 2 and 3.

“We were asked a while back since it’s something we’ve never done,” Finn said, “And we were more than happy and we’re pumped about it.”