Pruitt can do it all on the field

Pruitt can do it all on the field

By Aaron Graff

There is one thing that means more than anything to the Salukis’ starting tight end that has not been accomplished during his time here.

The Salukis have not reached the postseason during tight end MyCole Pruitt’s time at SIU.

“[Making the postseason] means the world to me,” Pruitt said. “I’ve been here for five years and put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears here. I haven’t gotten too much out of it, but I think this year’s going to be the year we get that ultimate goal we want.”

Pruitt said this year’s team should make the playoffs as long as it does its job every game day.

Pruitt leads all Division I tight ends with 26 receptions, 3 touchdowns and 306 yards entering week five, which is more than any SIU receiver.

He became only the third Saluki to log more than 2,000 career-receiving yards last week against Purdue University.

Pruitt was an All-American last season and is on pace for his best collegiate season this year.

“It’s really humbling to know that in the whole nation that you’re the one on top,” he said. “It just makes [me] even more hungry to keep going and not let anybody cripple from behind and take that from [me].”

Junior quarterback Mark Iannotti said Pruitt is not necessarily his favorite target to throw to, but he trusts him to make a play when needed.

“Whenever the ball is coming his way I know he’s going to go up and get it,” Iannotti said. “So he’s definitely someone I look for on the field.”

Pruitt said both Iannotti and former Saluki quarterback Kory Faulkner both throw good passes. Pruitt said he does not mind who throws to him, as long as the ball reaches his hands.

“Mark sees a guy that’s going to be open and he throws it to them,” Pruitt said. “I like to think of myself as open all the time. If he’s going to throw it to me, that’s perfect for me.”

Coach Dale Lennon said Pruitt has become a complete tight end during his time here, and fans are watching a finished product when he plays.

“Coming in, his best asset was definitely his hands,” Lennon said. “He’s been working hard to become the complete package and I think he’s at a level now where he is the complete package.”

Iannotti said Pruitt rarely makes mistakes because he spends a lot of time watching film and knows all of his assignments.

“The guys on the team look up to him with him being an All-American and being one of the leaders of the team,” Iannotti said.

Lennon said it is tough to go professional in football, but Pruitt should get a chance after SIU.

“He’s one of our senior leaders,” Lennon said. “He’s one of our playmakers. Every team needs to have those playmakers that when the game’s on the line, and you need somebody to come through and make a play, that’s the guy you’re hoping is available.”

Aaron Graff can be contacted at [email protected], on Twitter @Aarongraff_DE or 536-3311 ext. 269