Police Blotter 5/10/12

Campus

Campus police responded to a report of residential burglary Tuesday. An Apple Ipod was stolen from Schneider Hall at 11:44 p.m. According to a police report, it was of non-forcible entry and there are no suspects.

Travell Johnson, a student from Chicago, and Terry Harper, a student from Chicago, were arrested for fighting in University Hall Monday. They were issued Carbondale City pay-by-mail citations and were released.

A 19-year-old and a 20-year-old, both SIUC students, were involved in a domestic battery Saturday. Neither one required medical treatment and the case has been referred to the State’s Attorney’s Office.

Mercedes Gills, a student from Chicago, was arrested for battery Saturday. Her 19-year-old victim, also an SIU student, did not require medical treatment. Gills was issued a Carbondale City notice to appear in court and was released.

City

Carbondale Police responded to a report of a black male who had been seen with a handgun Sunday at 4:10 a.m. Officers located a male, later identified as Keith Ridley, matching the description provided by witnesses. As Ridley was approached by officers, he ran from them clutching the front end of his waistband. Officers gave chase, and as they caught Ridley, he removed the handgun from his waistband. Ridley eventually complied with officers commands to drop the weapon and was charged with possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of a stolen firearm and resisting a police officer. He was incarcerated in the Jackson County Jail.

Carbondale Police responded to assist the City of Carbondale Fire Department at a structure fire in the 300 block of Dillinger Road. Officers learned an unoccupied residence was fully engulfed in fire. The residence had been scheduled for demolition Monday. The fire, which was determined by officers to be arson, destroyed the residence. The investigation is continuing.

Carbondale Police responded to a report of residential burglary at the following locations. All are still under investigation.

2400 block of South Illinois

600 block of South Lewis Lane

South Illinois Avenue and West Mill Street

1000 block of North Carico Street

500 block of South Rawlings Street

800 block of West Mill Street

The investigations are all continuing, according to police reports.