Pizza and Politics to host 115th district candidates

By Elizabeth zinchuk

The 115th Illinois Congressional District will have a new representative for the first time in almost 20 years.

The Paul Simon Public Policy Institute is offering voters the chance to meet the four candidates in a series of Pizza and Politics luncheons.

Republican candidate Robert White will be featured Thursday at 5 p.m. at the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute.

The other three candidates in the Illinois House District race are Republican Terri Bryant, and Democrats Bill Kilquist and Tony Mayville. Bryant is scheduled for Feb. 25, Kilquist for Feb. 27 and Mayville for Mar. 4.

Republican representative Mike Bost is leaving his seat to challenge Democrat Bill Enyart for the U.S. House of Representatives in the 18th District.

David Yepsen, director of the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute, said the institute booked all four candidates individually so students and community members could meet and talk with them.

Students should come so they know who is representing them in important issues such as appropriations for the university and the amount of money going to the Monitary Award Program grants, he said.

“Students have a lot riding on what the legislature does,” he said.

Yepsen said it is important for people to know who is representing them.

“Having someone in Springfield who you know and understand, and who understands you, I think, is important to students,” he said. “So I really wanted to give them an opportunity to meet the candidates.”

Students will be able to ask questions and express their concerns during the event, Yepsen said.

He said the Pizza and Politics events also allow students, especially those interested in politics, to volunteer or work for the politicians’ campaigns.