Phillies draft left-hander Forsythe in 25th round

By Chris Zoeller

The Philadelphia Phillies drafted senior left-handed pitcher Cody Forsythe Saturday in the 25th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

Forsythe, a three-time Missouri Valley Conference All-Conference selection, pitched four seasons for the Salukis and is the all-time school leader in starts and innings pitched. After pitching 101 innings during the 2013 season, Forsythe became the first pitcher in school history to throw more than 100 innings in three consecutive seasons.

“I’m excited to move onto the next stage,” Forsythe said in an SIU Athletics press release. “I just want to thank everyone who helped me get this opportunity. I want to thank Coach Henderson, Coach Finigan and all the coaches at SIU including Coach Cal and also Kent Wallace who helped me get here.”

SIU head coach Ken Henderson, who has now seen four SIU draft picks in his three seasons as head coach, said he was very excited for Forsythe. “We are thrilled for him,” Henderson said. “He has certainly earned it and is deserving of this opportunity.”

Forsythe joins former SIU first baseman and two-time draft pick Chris Serritella and left-handed pitcher Nathan Dorris on the list of Salukis who have been drafted during Henderson’s tenure at SIU.