Penguins freeze Salukis

By Tony McDaniel

For the first time this season SIU has lost back-to-back games.

SIU (5-3, 2-2) fell to Youngstown State (5-2, 2-1) 26-14 Saturday.  Youngstown dominated SIU in the first half to put the Salukis in an early hole.

Youngstown State scored on its first three drives to step out to an early 17-0 lead.

Freshman quarterback Hunter Wells opened the scoring with a 9-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Jelani Berassa.

Wells led the Youngstown offense with 21 receptions 269 yards and a touchdown. SIU’s quarterback, junior Mark Iannotti, had 2 touchdown passes including a 62-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Tay Willis on the first play of the second half. Iannotti also threw 2 interceptions. YSU scored on the drive following both interceptions.

Senior running back Malcolm Agnew injured his ankle in the first half, forcing the Salukis to play without him for a large part of the game. Agnew was carted off the field but did return to the sidelines in full pads. His ankle was taped heavily, but he never re-entered the game.

Senior running back Mika’il McCall handled the bulk of the carries in Agnew’s absence, carrying 10 times for 40 yards.

Youngstown’s sophomore running backs Jody Webb and Martin Ruiz combined for 197 yards. Webb had 2 touchdowns including the final score for Youngstown to put the game out of the Salukis’ reach.

SIU will host Indiana State at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 for its homecoming matchup at Saluki Stadium.