‘Oxymoron’ a contender for Rap Album of the Year

By Luke Nozicka

As Schoolboy Q would say, “YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK!”

Q’s new album, “Oxymoron,”  is an array of new energetic and hostile rap music for lovers of the genre everywhere. The rapper, whose full name is Quincy Matthew Hanley, released his third studio album on Feb. 25 under Interscope Records, and could be a nominee for Rap Album of the Year at the Grammys.

Each hard-hitting beat is thoroughly produced and compliments Schoolboy’s strong, compelling lyrics. Indicating the best single from this collection is practically impossible.

Schoolboy begins “Oxymoron” with a recording from his daughter, Joy, who said “Hello… Hello? F*ck rap, my daddy a gangster.” This first track, “Gangsta,” is where Q introduces his daughter, who he samples several times throughout the album. The beat to this track is villainous and smoothly overlaid with a repetitive piano sample.

NOTE: Tracks posted in this article may be Not Safe For Work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiqT54dNUog

Q does stumble on his second song, “Los Awesome (feat. Jay Rock).” This is the only track on that virtually has no value or place among the rest of these records. Jay Rock, the 27-year-old rapper from Los Angeles, has been known in the rap business as one of the better underdogs for some time, but the main synth used in this piece that carries the entire track is just horrid. This one is cheesy and obnoxious, and is material worthy only of a first mixtape.

Kendrick Lamar is featured on the third track titled “Collard Greens.”  The rhythm and synths make this party anthem one of the more superior songs off the CD. “Studio (feat. BJ the Chicago Kid)” is one of the higher quality tunes — the forceful 808s and well sound, high pitched squealing vocals go hand in hand with BJ and Schoolboy’s ability to rap. The chorus of this track is also much better and more thorough compared to others on the album.

The  track “Prescription/Oxymoron”  is the darkest and most depressing Schoolboy track yet. He samples his daughter, who says things like “What’s wrong daddy? Wake up. Wake up,” and “ What’s wrong? You tired? You mad? Okay, I love you, daddy.” The song is split into two separate beats and is the longest track at more than seven minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQAwe6qEenU

Tyler, the Creator, leader and co-founder of rap group Odd Future, and Kurupt, executive vice president of Death Row Records, are featured on “The Purge.” “Blind Threats” is the ninth track and features Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon. This upbeat track is slightly different compared to other in-your-face bass filled beats, and uses cowbell and a lovely sounding bell synth. Schoolboy sings the chorus, “But if God don’t help this gun will/I swear I’m gone find my way,” in a moderate and fairly relaxed tone.

One of Schoolboy’s better tracks and the best song off “Oxymoron” is  “Hell of a Night.” It is filled with beautiful background humming samples and perfectly reverbed vocals. The song is ideally organized and incorporates numerous styles into one. It keeps Schoolboy’s gangster reputation while crossing new boundaries, and is a record that can be listened to at any time, from partying at the club to simply contemplating life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imyf9EfGq4A

“Gravy” is the second worst song off “Oxymoron.” The song is all down hill after the beat drops five seconds in, not to mention the moronic chorus.

The album is concluded with “Yay Yay” a song filled with cocaine and oxycodone references. The song was originally featured on DJ Drama’s 2013 XXL Freshman Mixtape — this beat is powerful and is a strong way to end the deluxe album.

“Oxymoron” can be purchased on Amazon or iTunes, or streamed on Spotify.

Luke Nozicka can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter at @LukeNozicka, or 536-3311 ext. 268.