October brings domestic violence awareness

By Alex Merchant

Three women die every day because of domestic abuse, according to the National Network to End Domestic Violence.

October is domestic violence awareness month, and students and community members are marking the occasion by educating the public on how to prevent this kind of violence.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention domestic violence includes physical violence, sexual violence, threats and emotional abuse.

Bobbi Knapp, an assistant professor of kinesiology, said domestic violence gets little public attention unless people see it first-hand.

“Even with the more high-profile cases, it seems that true public outrage only appears when the public is made audience to the actual physical attack—such as with Ray Rice,” she said, regarding the recent domestic violence controversy involving an NFL running back. “However, there are numerous organizations which are attempting to increase public awareness on this topic.”

Knapp also said American culture may lead to domestic violence.

“It may be appropriate to acknowledge that we have various social norms in our society that may, in various ways, support violence against women which extends into the home,” she said. “The United States is a patriarchal society, and much of that power differential resides on the belief that males are physically superior to women.”

Abby Odior, coordinator of the domestic violence program at The Women’s Center in Carbondale, said although women are prime targets, they are not the only victims. The center is one of the oldest domestic violence centers in the country, according to its website.

“Most at risk are women and children,” Odior said. “We also serve men who are abused by their partners.”

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence released statistics that share the same story. Thirty-three percent of women and 25 percent of men encountered physical violence by their partner in their lifetime, according to the network’s website. More than 10 million men and women experienced physical violence in the United States in 2013, according to the site.

The Department of Justice cites underreporting as a significant issue. Its statistics show that 75 percent of physical assaults by intimate partners are not reported. One of the most common reasons for not reporting domestic violence to police is that victims see incidents as a private or personal matter, according to the US Department of Justice.

Knapp said while statistics show that this attitude is diminishing, it is still prevalent.

“The sentiment that domestic violence is private may be changing to a small degree,” Knapp said. “Although the media has made visible some high profile cases of domestic abuse, the majority of domestic abuse situations seem to go unnoticed.”

Knapp said public attention is only paid when people see domestic violence firsthand.

“Even with the more high profile cases, it seems that true public outrage only appears when the public is made audience to the actual physical attack – such as with Ray Rice,” she said, regarding the recent domestic violence controversy involving an NFL running back. “However, there are numerous organizations which are attempting to increase public awareness on this topic.”

Odior said people should take action if they suspect someone may be a victim because domestic violence is underreported.

“Talk with them, and let them know that they are not alone, and there’s help for victims of domestic violence,” she said.

Members of the community can help stamp out domestic violence, Odior said.

Knapp agreed that raising awareness is important but said it is vital that American culture let go of outdated hierarchies, and start seeing women as equal to men.

“Violence in general would be difficult to stamp out altogether. I think as a society we can make inroads in ushering through larger cultural changes which could positively impact, and thus decrease, issues of domestic violence,” Knapp said. “Such changes would help to equalize the relationship between men and women, and allow males a wider range of emotional expression beyond violence.”

Kelly Meloy, an employee of SIU’s Women’s Resource Center, said there are several upcoming events on campus addressing domestic violence students can attend.

“Coming to the events that SIU hosts and becoming educated on the subject can reduce incidents [of domestic violence],” said Meloy, a freshman from Chicago studying business. “The Women’s Center has a 24-hour number to call if you suspect someone is being abused.”

Both the Women’s Resource Center and Carbondale’s Women’s Center have several events planned for the month of October aimed at raising awareness for domestic violence prevention. More information is available on their respective websites.