Novara keeps his heart close to home

By Aaron Graff

Sophomore men’s golfer Drew Novara grew up in Murphysboro, and ultimately opted to stay closer to his family and to show more pride for the region were he grew up.

Novara said when he was a child everyone on his mom’s side of the family loved to golf, especially his late grandpa, Robert Streuter. Novara said Streuter was his biggest inspiration for golf, and he wishes he could golf with Streuter.

“Every time I go and talk to a member at the golf course, they say, ‘Man, your grandpa would sure be proud,’ and they talk about how much he loved golf and loved his grandkids,” Novara said. “I’d say he’s up there watching out for me for sure, and he’s got to be my biggest inspiration.”

Len Novara, Drew’s father, is the athletic director of Murphysboro High School, and encouraged Drew to be involved in sports since he began walking. Len said Drew originally expressed interest in baseball, but a leg injury in high school made him rethink the sport, with his doctor recommending a set of golf clubs instead. The next day, Drew was fitted for clubs, and Len immediately noticed Drew’s talent.

“From the very first swing I ever saw from him, there was a consistency that to me, not being a golfer, certainly seemed like something that was out of the ordinary,” Len Novara said.

Novara’s talent made him an ideal future Saluki. SIU men’s golf coach Leroy Newton was aware of him since his freshman year, and heard about his talent from other golf coaches in the area. When it came time for Newton to recruit players, Novara was one of his top picks.

Newton said he wanted Novara because he is a talented local.

“We thought that we were the right place for him,” Newton said. “If he would have gone to a bigger school, he might have been trying to qualify all the time and might not have gotten to play.”

Novara signed with SIU shortly after his senior season, and Len Novara said Newton was the main factor.

Drew Novara said he was always a fan of the University of North Carolina, and it was once his dream to play there, but it eventually came down to SIU or the University of Cincinnati. SIU’s better offer and close proximity won out, and he chose to become a Saluki.

Both Drew and Len Novara said their favorite golf memory occured when Len Novara caddied for Drew at the Aug. 12-18 U.S Amateur Championship in Brookline, Mass.

“That was a moment that was truly special for a father and a son to spend together,” Len Novara said.

Drew Novara said he can see himself playing golf for the rest of his life and hopes to one day become a professional. He said his favorite golfer is Tiger Woods because you barely see any flaws to his game.

“You see a lot of golfers who have a ton of talent and a ton of potential,” Drew Novara said. “There is always something they lack, but watching Tiger, even if someone is more talented than him, it seems he is going to do whatever it takes to win.”

Len Novara said that he is proud of his son for achieving something he worked so hard for, and said staying close to him is not only a benefit to Drew, but also the entire family.

Len Novara goes to most of the matches and tournaments close to Carbondale, and stays active with the team, sometimes inviting players home for dinner.

Novara is still in contact with his high school teammates and still plays golf with a few of them occasionally. He said coming from the local area gives him an enormous amount of pride for his hometown and the people he has met at SIU.

Aaron Graff can be contacted at [email protected] or (618)-536-3311 ext. 282