Must-see series enhance the internet

By Dylan Frost

In the age of digital media, fame is easily attainable for anyone with a creative concept and a video camera. Even for celebrities who have achieved fame in ways outside the inner workings of the Internet, a YouTube channel and some quick editing can prove to be an image enhancer. Although there are thousands of web series and YouTube channels available, here’s a look of some of the must-see series.

“Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”

Jerry Seinfeld has never really been much of one to come up with creative names for his projects, but his web series is straight forward: Seinfeld drives various cars with a celebrity passenger while embarking on a caffeine-fueled journey.

Often the program involves Seinfeld getting comically nostalgic with his old comedy pals, usually involving remember-the-time-when conversation starters and on-the-side observational humor.

Featured guests have included Larry David, Louis C.K., David Letterman, Jay Leno and two and a half seasons of other guests. The conversations are rather intimate and often brilliant. I mean, who would not want to see Seinfeld and Patton Oswalt riding in a DeLorean together shooting jokes back and forth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0S0PBUgDs

“Why with Nye: The Juno Mission”

For those of us who attended grade school in the ’90s and early 2000s, “Why with Nye” gives us the opportunity to relive the good ol’ days of watching “Bill Nye the Science Guy” on movie day. Unfortunately, each “Why with Nye” is only about three-minutes long and there are only a handful of episodes.

However, this web-series still has the same zeal as Nye’s old TV show as he demonstrates how NASA’s Juno mission will help us better understand the alien elements of Jupiter. On Oct. 9, 2013, Juno reentered Earth’s gravity and was flung toward Jupiter where it will collect data and transmit it back to earth.

Nye uses his goofball wit to describe exactly what Juno hopes to discover as well as how the spacecraft will even survive the journey. Nye also explores the intriguing possibilities of what is in Jupiter’s core.

If we needed any more reasons why “Bill Nye the Science Guy” needs to return to TV, this web-series does the trick. Come back to us, Nye!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynzfjgtdius

“5 Second Films”

Quick witted and again, straight forward, “5 Second Films” is a fantastic concept and lives up to its name. The creators present an idea and have five seconds to deliver the laughs. It probably seems easier than it actually is, because to be able to create a plot and slap a joke inside the video in five seconds is quite impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_375313&feature=iv&src_vid=oKFR3ziVXbI&v=-u4kwkWXrAU

“Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis”

Host Zach Galifianakis delivers the most marvelous and uncomfortable interviews with celebrities between, you guessed it, two ferns.

This web series presented by Funny or Die breathes the quintessential Galifianakis humor on a low-budget set. The format is essentially like a shorter version of the “Comedy Bang! Bang!” TV show – which makes sense considering the show originated as a short film by “Comedy Bang! Bang!” host and creator, Scott Aukerman.

Must watch episodes: Bruce Willis, Justin Bieber, Ben Stiller, Jon Hamm, Steve Carell, Natalie Portman and Michael Cera.

“Bad Lip Reading”

An astounding 47 million people have seen the NFL “Bad Lip Reading” that came out last year. However, the funniest ones that many people are not familiar with are the spoofs of the presidential nominee PSAs.

The creator of this web series brilliantly and perfectly dubbed over dialogue from 2012 presidential nominees to make it appear as if they were saying complete rubbish – very much like the NFL version.

If Comedy Central were smart, they would find a way to make this into a TV show much like they did with “Drunk History.”

Dylan Frost can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter @DFrost90 or by phone at 536-3311 ext. 254.