Movie magic under the lights

By Marcus Gruwell

More than one hundred students and residents of Carbondale gathered Tuesday at Saluki Stadium to relax on the field and watch a movie on the video board.

Saluki Athletics and SIU Extended Campus sponsored the first “Free Movie Night” of the summer featuring the 2014 movie “Divergent,” featuring Shailene Woodley and Theo James.

Steve Sowers, assistant athletic director of marketing, said the movie should bring in a lot of people because of the popularity of the movie and because it is free to the public.

“We’ve been looking forward to the movie for a while now and we were excited to finally be able to play it on Tuesday night,” Sowers said.

Sowers said while it is sometimes difficult to find activities during the summer, he said the movie will help bring students and residents together.

“There usually aren’t a lot of options until the fall, but sometimes people forget there are some things to do here in the summer time.” he said.

Julie Eisenhauer, marketing and program development coordinator for SIU Extended Campus, said she hoped to attract a big crowd for the first movie.

“We just wanted to bring some free summer events to Carbondale and for especially the students who are here for the summer time,” she said.

Julie Young, a Carbondale resident, said she hopes the movie will go well, but she is worried about being able to enjoy the movie.

“I am interested to see how it will all turn out but I just hope that I will be able to hear it,” she said.

Viewers got the chance to either sit in the bleachers or on the turf to watch the movie while families could play Frisbee or throw a football as the movie began.