Missing Plano man found safe

By Elizabeth zinchuk

A missing 21-year-old former university student from Plano with cerebral palsy was found unharmed in Carbondale Sunday.

Plano Police Department Chief Steven Eaves said he was called to the Cann residence around 7:45 p.m. Feb. 22, when Corey Cann’s family claimed he was missing. Police are still questioning Cann in Carbondale, he said.

“Our primary goal was to make sure that he was safe,” Eaves said.

Cann’s family created a Facebook page to relay information Sunday. Eaves said Cann was last seen with his brother until two men picked him up. He said his family became concerned when Cann was not seen or heard from. Police immediately declared Cann a missing person and investigated his disappearance all weekend until he was located, Eaves said.

In a Beacon-News article, Plano Police Department Sgt. Norm Allison said Cann’s disappearance was a miscommunication.

“Corey indicated to us he left on his own accord. He is totally fine, happy and healthy,” Allison said. “We are going to facilitate what he is going to do next, whether he wants to come home or stay down (in Carbondale).”

Eaves said he was glad Cann was found, especially under the uncertain circumstances.

“We thought it was suspicious the way he left, but it was never officially anything more than a missing person report,” he said.

A Carbondale Police Department representative was unable to be reached before press time Monday.