Miller secures student trustee position

By Luke Nozicka

After winning 60 percent of the vote against opponent Kane Hudson, a freshman from Peoria studying engineering, Adrian Miller will serve as SIUC’s student trustee on the SIU Board of Trustees beginning June 1 after Jesse Cler’s term expires.

Miller said more than 1,400 students voted Wednesday and Thursday on Desire2Learn.

Miller, a junior from Carbondale studying political science, said he wants to not only better the Carbondale campus, but also the university as a whole.

“(I’m going) to advocate on student issues, whether that be tuition or fees, but also to ensure that the environment — not just here at Carbondale but at Edwardsville and Springfield — is conducive to the academics and to what you would expect when you attend a university,” he said.

Miller serves as president of the Undergraduate Student Government and has served on the Illinois Board of Higher Education. He said he is prepared for the position, as he has attended every trustee meeting for the past two years.

“I do understand what they’re dealing with right now,” he said. “I look forward to being a part of the behind-the-door conversation.”

He said students can always come to him with issues and concerns as he intends to bring student opinions to the board. He said he plans to work with Cler, a senior from Penfield studying agribusiness economics, in the coming months to transition into the position.

Miller said he hopes to have contact with incoming SIU President Randy Dunn in the future as well.

“With a new president coming in, it’s going to be a really unique opportunity to work with him,” he said. “We have to be ready to work together.”

Luke Nozicka can be reached at [email protected]on Twitter @lukenozicka, or 536-3311 ext. 286.