Miller runs for USG president unopposed

By Jessica Wettig

When students vote for Undergraduate Student Government representation, they’ll only find one name on the ballot.

That candidate, USG Senator Adrian Miller, said he has been at work for quite some time to revamp the way the USG works. The largest tasks include implementing a USG Department of Treasury in replacement of the Finance Committee, and changing the system for funding registered student organizations. He is also working closely with Student Trustee Jesse Cler to promote their campaigns and support the messages. Roughly 30 people attended Miller and Cler’s “Unite and Fight” rally Tuesday afternoon to support their campaigns.

“I am ashamed of things that are going on on this campus,” Miller said, “The fact that students are not being heard and their voices are being ignored is wrong.”

When students’ voices are ignored and division resides among them, leaders, like USG members, are not doing their job, he said.

Miller said he was happy with the rally’s turnout, because those who attended know their opinions matter.

“You have to start somewhere,” he said.

Solo USG Vice President candidate Oliver Keys said Miller works hard to represent the student voice. In addition to the department of treasury and finance changes to USG, Keys said Miller wishes to increase student involvement in the political process in order to gain knowledge of their wants and needs.

“You can’t go after issues that you don’t know about,” he said.

Miller’s passion for the student representation is the main reason Keys supports him as vice president, Keys said.

Cler has similar respect for Miller as presidential candidate, because they have much in common.

“I respect Adrian Miller so highly,” Cler said. “We work so well together. I would kind of call us a power team.”

Cler said the two have collaborated well since Miller was a USG senator and Cler resided as Student Trustee. He said Miller has worked harder than he has needed, in order to support Cler’s campaign.

If both candidates win, Cler said he and Miller will meet often, allowing USG to work with the student trustee to resolve issues and make needed improvements for the student body.

Miller said he has designed a Department of Treasury that USG has been discussing, which will replace the Finance Committee. It will also incorporate a treasurer as someone who is held accountable for all of the finances that go through USG, he said. There is no position for someone to oversee finances, and Miller said this has led to many flaws in the allocations process.

Miller said he will throw out the spring allocations process, and implement ten separate periods for allocations throughout the school year. This will allow additional structure, but will also create a more thorough process that will benefit the majority of campus students, he said.

Cler supports Miller’s changes with financing in USG and believes the transformation will make a big difference for the entire student body.

Jessica Wettig Miles can be reached at [email protected] or 618-536-3311 Ext. 259