Keith Suggs suspended from football team

By Tony McDaniel

Saluki football will be without a third defensive player Saturday because of another suspension.

Senior cornerback Keith Suggs was suspended Thursday for his connection to the ongoing case involving senior linebacker Victor Burnett.

Tom Weber, the director of media services for Saluki Athletics, said Suggs has not practiced with the team this week and will not travel with the team to Missouri State for Saturday’s game.

According to a sworn statement of probable cause by Carbondale police officer Jeramie Stewart, Suggs said he assisted Burnett in the sale of cannabis to prevent anything from happening to him. Suggs does not face criminal charges.

Carbondale police responded to a possible home invasion in progress at 800 E. Grand Apt. 29A at about 12:20 a.m. Saturday morning, where Suggs and Burnett reside.

Burnett and Suggs were notified their apartment was burglarized and returned to the residence. The statement said Suggs’ room was forced open. Suggs told police that an ounce of cannabis and $500 was missing.

Suggs has started all nine games this year and has recorded 28 tackles and an interception.

Suggs is the third player to be suspended from the team this week.

Burnett and junior defensive end Adam Brandt were suspended Monday.

Burnett was arrested early Saturday morning on charges of possession of nearly 700 grams of cannabis, intent to deliver and possession of drug paraphernalia. According to court records acquired Wednesday by the Daily Egyptian.

Brandt was arrested Saturday for a DUI. Brandt’s case is unrelated to Suggs and Burnett’s.

It is unclear if any of the three players are suspended from the university. University spokeswoman Rae Goldsmith said she could not comment on information regarding university suspensions.

The suspensions could not come at a worse time for Saluki football. The team will need to win it’s remaining three games in order to be playoff eligible.