Jones will not be losing his job to me

By Aaron Graff

There is no chance my body would allow me to squat in a catcher’s position for even a single at-bat, let alone nine innings.

My final individual challenge was against senior catcher Matt Jones. We tried throwing out freshman infielder Connor Kopach on three stolen base attempts. Kopach is one of the fastest runners on the team with seven stolen bases in nine attempts so far this season.

Jones has been the starting catcher for the Salukis for two years and has improved his caught stealing percentage from .208 to .344. In April alone, he threw out nearly half of base runners attempting to steal.

More runners have attempted to steal a base against Jones than any other catcher in the Missouri Valley Conference. Although he has given up the most stolen bases, he has also caught more runners stealing in the conference.

Freshman third baseman Ryan Sabo acted as pitcher and threw to both of us three times as we tried to throw Kopach out. Jones threw right on target every time. His first two throws were close calls, but he called for a quick pitch on his third attempt and easily threw Kopach out.

Whether the umpire would call Kopach safe or out on the first two did not matter. He looked out to me, but he easily stole on me every time. The first time, I didn’t even catch the ball. The second time, I threw somewhere between second base and the pitchers mound. Sabo hit me in the leg for my third attempt.

I could not go out on that note.

Sabo threw to me a fourth time and I actually got the ball to second base, but it got there after Kopach and used four or five hops. The field’s artificial turf helped me out, but I still lost to Jones.

Volunteer assistant coach Joe Lincoln works mainly with the catchers. Lincoln said if he coached me, I could possibly become Jones’ backup, but he said he was just being nice.

Jones said he would not have a lot of confidence in me on his off days if I were his backup. Who could blame him? Sabo was not throwing anywhere near as hard as the pitchers throw, and I only caught half of his throws.

Backup catchers play more than any other backup position in baseball because catchers put more strain on their bodies from squatting. That’s another reason Jones wouldn’t want me to be his backup, because by the second inning of his off day, he would have to come into the game and relieve me.

Coach Ken Henderson said Jones might have a shot at being drafted this season. Jones hurt his wrist during winter break, and doesn’t know how he did it. Henderson said Jones has been suffering slightly at the plate, and it might harm his chances.

Jones became the second athlete not at full strength to beat me in the Aaron vs. Athletes series. Junior McKenzie White beat me in a 30-meter dash by a full second while recovering from an injury.

Henderson did not see the competition, but he said he’s glad he didn’t. He said he has too much respect for the game and he would be embarrassed for me.

Jones said he is hoping to take baseball to the next level, and doesn’t really mind which team gives him an opportunity. If he doesn’t get the opportunity to play, he said he would like to coach somewhere.

The Salukis have their final home conference series this weekend against the University of Evansville.

Aaron Graff can be contacted at [email protected], on Twitter @Aarongraff_DE or 536-3311 ext. 269