Infielders have hot summer

Serritella, Welch honored as all-stars

One current and one former member of the Saluki baseball team were honored for their standout play on the diamond this summer.

Chris Serritella
Provided Photo

Junior second baseman Jake Welch and Chris Serritella, a member of the 2009-12 team, were selected to all-star games in their respective leagues.

Welch, the Salukis leadoff man, was named to the Prospect League’s post-season all-star team as a member of the Richmond (Ind.) RiverRats August 19. Welch had a .313 batting average and belted nine home runs to go with 28 RBI in 54 games this summer.

Serritella was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the fourth round of the Major League Baseball draft June 5. He is playing for the Williamsport Crosscutters, the Phillies Class A team, and was selected to the New York-Penn League all-star game Aug. 8. He is batting .290 with six homeruns and 44 RBI this season.

Serritella played in the Prospect League in 2011 for the Quincy Gems and was named the league’s player of the year.

Coach Ken Henderson said Saluki players enjoy the Prospect League because of its high level of competition and its close proximity to home. The league is based in Illinois and Indiana, Henderson said.

Serritella was a member of the All-Missouri Valley Conference first team last season. He was also a Louisville Slugger Third Team All-

Jake Welch
Provided Photo

American. His .367 career batting average is the fifth highest in school history.

Serritella and the Crosscutters continue regular season play until Sept. 5.

The Salukis will begin team workouts Sept. 10.

About Ben Conrady

Ben Conrady can be reached at bconrady@dailyegyptian.com or 536-3311 ext. 282.