Iannotti ties record in Salukis’ win

By Tony McDaniel

SIU rolled over Southeast Missouri State University to its third-straight win Saturday night.

The Salukis crushed their regional rivals 50-23.  SIU ran away early from the Redhawks in a game plagued by turnovers and penalties.

At the end of the first half SIU led 35 to 20 bolstered by Iannotti’s play in the passing game.  Iannotti had 4 touchdown passes in the first half including a 60-yard pass to senior wide receiver Tay Willis.

SEMO was able to stick with the Salukis in the first half despite Iannotti’s offensive explosion.

Redhawk’s senior cornerback Tim Hamm-Bey intercepted a floating pass from Iannotti in the second quarter to cut the SIU lead to eight, the smallest lead of the game.

Southeast Missouri head coach Tim Matukewicz said he thought his team was back in the game after the defensive score.

SIU managed to score two more times to take a 22-point lead nearing halftime, but SEMO had other plans.

SEMO senior quarterback Kyle Snyder led an 11-play, 65-yard drive that ended with a 19-yard pass to senior receiver Paul McRoberts to cut the Salukis’ lead to 15 points going into halftime.

The Dawgs scored twice in the second half to put the Redhawks away.

SEMO finished the game with 12 penalties for 88 yards.

Senior linebacker Tyler Williamson said the SEMO’s high penalty yards made the game easier for the defense.

Iannotti found seniors MyCole Pruitt and LaSteven McKinney in the second half to tie Sherard Poteete’s school record of 6 touchdown passes in a single game. Iannotti finished with 225 yards and completed 15 passes on 21 attempts and an interception.

Head coach Dale Lennon said he was surprised by his quarterback’s numbers.

“I don’t know if it was Mark’s best night,” he said. “He forced a couple of throws he probably didn’t need to, but he has the ability to recover.”

Senior running back Malcolm Agnew led the Salukis with 158 yards rushing on 31 attempts. He also had two touchdowns, one in the air and one on the ground.

For SEMO, Snyder rushed for 51 yards and also threw for 204 yards on 29 pass attempts. Senior running back Lennies McFerren finished with 80 yards on 16 attempts and also caught two passes for 29 yards.

Lennon said Snyder’s ability to avoid the pass rush was frustrating from a coaching aspect.

“That’s what he’s good at,” he said. “He extends the play and when he’s out moving around, that’s when he becomes dangerous.  There we’re several times it’s frustrating as a coach, because you think you’ve got him, and the next thing you know the play is going the other direction.”

The Salukis play Purdue University in their next game at 11 a.m, on Sept. 20 at the Ross–Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Ind.