Homework and parenthood, a balancing act

By Adie Applegate

Being a parent and a student are two full time jobs that some SIU students take on daily.

Finding time to study is already a challenge, but for some students like Dawn Steward, a reading and language major from Springfield, and Melissa Suggs, a cinema and photography major from Murphysboro, balancing academics and parenthood is a daily routine.

Steward has attended SIU since the spring of 2012. She said finding a babysitter is an obstacle.

“The hardest struggle is finding childcare that fits into my schedule,” Steward said. “I have evening classes and a job during the day. I use the SIU daycare while I’m at work and then I have a separate sitter for when I have classes in the evening, and so far, it has worked out well this semester.”

The university offers multiple resources for students who double as parents. Daycare is offered through Rainbow’s End. It offers childcare to faculty, staff, and students from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Parents can choose between different rates and times that work best with their schedules.

Additionally, there are family housing options available, with two- and three-bedroom apartments at Evergreen Terrace.

Jamie Eader, a junior from Herrin studying journalism advertisement, works with non-traditional services and said departments including the library offer resources many students might not know about.

“At Morris Library there is a family study room which we try inform students of,” she said. “It has games and toys for kids to interact with while the student can study. The Recreation Center also has events that focus on students with family.”

Suggs said the resources she has found on campus have been helpful and balancing her time has been a positive challenge for her.

“As a parent and student, balancing aspects of both worlds is the hardest challenge but it’s also the best motivator,” Suggs said. “I have also found that SIU has great programs including the Association of Non-Traditional Students. There are helpful people and programs here which make life easier.”

Steward said the resources for student parents has grown in recent years.

“Since I’ve been here they really have evolved their ways of helping us,” she said. “If you ever have a question or need advice on what is best for you, they always lead you in the right direction.”

Eader said feeling like you are making excuses is one of the hardest parts.

“When your child is sick and you can’t attend class you feel like you’re making excuses, when you know you’re not,” said Eader. “You have to be proactive on communication with your professors. Introduce yourself at the beginning and let them know you have a child and will not always be able to attend even though you’d like to.”

Deborah Barnett, coordinator of non-traditional student services, said making students aware of the available resources is something the university does well.

“We try to connect with students before they enter their first class,” she said. “We e-mail about scholarships and workshops and we have a complete resource guide on our website that informs students on housing, financial aid and childcare. There are also lists of help in the community, not just the university resources.”

Adie Applegate can be reached at aapplegate@ dailyegyptian.com,

on twitter @adisonapple or 536-3311 ext. 268