GPSC talks grant funding

By Karsten Burgstahler

The Graduate and Professional Student Council discussed research grant funding and the housing of student organizations during a brief meeting last week.

Although GPSC did not make quorum for its Tuesday meeting, the group held informal discussions regarding several campus issues. Blaine Tisdale, GPSC president, said in an email the council was also introduced to John Koropchak, vice chancellor of research and graduate dean.

GPSC discussed the university’s grant research policy at an October meeting. The policy, which was enacted in August, altered both the way research grant funds are administered and the cost for graduate students who work as research assistants.

Koropchak said the university remains competitive as a research institution, and many institutions follow similar methods for grants and funding, Tisdale said.

“The representatives seemed to really appreciate (Koropchak’s) input, and had some of their concerns addressed,” Tisdale said. “It was a beneficial visit.”

Tisdale said he recently met with Chancellor Rita Cheng as well as representatives from Undergraduate Student Government and the Graduate Council to discuss organizational matters. He said he advocated to move Registered Student Organizations into vacant Student Center offices after other organizations move into the new Student Services building, which is expected to be completed in fall 2013. He said although it would be a small change, the move may make RSO members feel more valuable.

Tisdale said Cheng confirmed more space would be available to RSOs once the move is finished.

Tisdale also announced at the meeting that the Carbondale Human Relations Commission would hold a dialogue to discuss how Carbondale police handled an Aug. 26 house party, during which police allegedly used pepper spray to disperse students. Tisdale said the dialogue will occur during the commission’s regular meeting at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 3 in room 103 of Carbondale City Hall.