Governor bans smoking at public universities

By Austin Miller

More than 17 percent of SIU students smoke, and as of July 1, 2015, will no longer be allowed to on campus.

Gov. Pat Quinn signed the Smoke Free Campus Act on Aug. 17, which bans smoking on Illinois public university campuses.

Smoking is allowed 15 feet away from entrances, exits, open windows and ventilation intakes at the university, but will only be permitted in cars beginning Jul. 1, 2015.

In February, the university announced the campus would become smoke-free this July, but the SIU Board of Trustees delayed the policy to wait for state legislation.

The law states schools must create a task force by the end of 2014 to work on implementing the ban.

Katie Sermersheim, dean of students, said she is recommending people for the law-mandated task force, which will be approved by interim Chancellor Paul Sarvela.

She said no new punishments would be created for those found violating the law. The university will follow the regular Student Conduct Policy when dealing with violators.

Dr. Ted Grace, director of Student Health Services, was appointed head of a previous 16-person task force by former-Chancellor Rita Cheng. The task force was created in January 2013 to research how many students smoke on campus.

He said the task force created several mock policies and surveyed students on preferences. The group found a majority of those surveyed were in favor of increased smoking limitations.

Grace said the university received complaints of excessive smoke in several areas on campus, such as the archway of Faner Hall.

“Even though they were legal, they were the 15 feet away,” He said. “You had to walk through a smoke cloud to get into that building.”

Grace said the effects of secondhand smoke, which can cause lung cancer and cardiovascular disease, is just as dangerous as primary smoke. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website states secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 non-smoker deaths each year.

Michele Guerra, director of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Wellness Center, said she has seen change on campus since its smoke-free policy was introduced on Jan. 1, 2014.

“We are not 100 percent smoke free,” Guerra said. “But there is a lot less smoke and a lot less litter.”

Grace said he is excited about what this law will do for public health.

“I don’t think you can make a bigger contribution to the health of the state and the campus,” Grace said. “So many people will benefit, whether they want to or not. You are entitled to an environment you can walk through and not become unhealthy just from being in the environment.”

Those interested in quitting smoking can make an appointment with Student Health Services via www.salukihealth.siuc.edu or by calling 618-536-441. Smokers can also call the Illinois Tobacco Quit Line at 1-866-784-8937.

Austin Miller can be contacted at [email protected] or on Twitter @amiller_DE.