Gorski embraces new role after career-ending injury

By Thomas Donley

Kiley Gorski’s basketball career took a turn after she arrived at SIU last year.

Gorski suffered a career-ending knee injury before she saw game action for the Salukis, but remains with the team as a student assistant.

Head coach Cindy Stein said Gorski’s basketball-related intelligence and versatility make her an asset as an assistant.

“What gives us an advantage having Kiley is that she can help us in the office, she can help us on the court and she’s going to help us travel.” Stein said. “I can’t even name all the different things she’s going to be able to help us with.”

An All-State selection her junior year at Ladywood High School in Livonia, Mich., Gorski missed her senior season with a torn left ACL.

She planned to play at Concordia University Ann Arbor, where her mother, Andrea Gorski, was the head coach.

Those plans changed when Stein was named head coach at SIU, asked the elder Gorski to join her as associate head coach.

Stein had one request of Andrea.

“Coach Stein said that she wanted my mom to bring me with her,” Kiley said. “I had to decide if I wanted to stay home or come nine hours to this place I’ve never been before.”

Kiley joined the Salukis, but reinjured her knee before she could play in her first game. After the third surgery on her left knee, doctors told her there was nothing more they could do, marking the end of Kiley’s playing career.

“It’s really hard to see your kid go through surgeries,” Andrea said. “I know she had some goals, and she wanted to help this team on the floor, but these things happen for a reason. She’s handled it pretty well.”

Sophomore Rishonda Napier lamented the loss of Gorski.

“It’s tragic,” Napier said. “Especially when she’s had to wait so long to play, and we never got to see her at her full potential, but she’s been a great sport about it and kept a positive attitude. It’s really inspiring for all of us.”

Kiley struggled with being unable to play at first, but she has come to terms with her situation.

“It’s really weird,” Kiley said. “I haven’t not played basketball since I was three years old, so it’s hard, but I’m getting used to it.”

Kiley still plays basketball at the Recreation Center and joins pick-up games with her teammates.

Although Kiley could no longer play for the Salukis, Stein was not ready to let her walk away from the team.

“She’s a young lady that we recruited to be on the team,” Stein said. “Even though she can’t play, we still want her part of the team. We want to help her through this. It’s not easy for someone to go through that type of situation.”

Andrea coached Kiley until she reached high school. Andrea stepped down as head coach at Ladywood to avoid conflict of interest and began coaching college basketball.

Both Gorskis have taken the unfortunate turn of events in stride.

“Nothing’s really changed in terms of wanting to do the best we can to take this program to winning Missouri Valley championships,” Andrea said. “Doing that together, I think, is pretty cool.”

Gorski’s responsibilities include helping the team managers and assisting with drills during practice.

During games, she keeps advanced metrics on player efficiency.

Kiley was not the only Saluki to sit out the 2013-2014 season with an injury. Napier, junior Cartaesha Macklin and senior Alexus Patterson were all redshirted last season.

Stein said the Salukis have intensified their training regimen to reduce the risk of injuries. They have focused on hips, knees and hamstrings.

“The biggest thing is just making sure our kids maintain a good level of conditioning,” Stein said. “A lot of it is in the weight room.”