Gap in leases leave students inconvenienced

By Tiffany Blanchette

With numerous independent housing companies and apartment complexes in Carbondale, a disconnect between leases can force students to find storage space, moving trucks, reliable friends, vacant couches and, in some cases, transportation home.

For Yatameck Davis, a senior from Chicago studying social work, finding all of the above came in the middle of finals week and will cost two weeks of paychecks along with related costs.

Davis, who is moving from The Pointe at SIU to University Village, said her move has been a complete inconvenience.

To accommodate Tuesday’s move-out deadline, Davis said she had to move out Monday in order to fulfill her work obligations and in turn, she said she was forced to sacrifice study time for her summer-school exam.

She said although complexes need time to complete maintenance, the gap can put a lot of stress on tenants.

Management of The Pointe at SIU declined to comment because of corporate policy. Home Rentals and The Reserve at Saluki Pointe also declined to comment.

Davis, who works as a traffic assistant for WSIU-TV, has also worked extra hours in order to get ahead so that her absence doesn’t inconvenience the station as well.

Kevin Boucher, traffic manager for WSIU-TV, said every summer student-workers face housing troubles.

“It’s a struggle as an employer as well,” Boucher said. “The work falls on the staff and can put more stress on students who have to take on extra duties and pick up shifts.”

Boucher said it’s also stressful for the students who manage their situation because they don’t make the money they need to survive.

From financing a move and storage services to paying for transportation home, most scenarios can take a toll on a student’s budget.

Davis said traveling home to Chicago is her only option because she doesn’t want to inconvenience anyone else by sleeping on their couch for two weeks. She said the travel will cost her money for the train ticket as well as spending money while she has no income.

Students who also have work or summer classes, but no place to stay once their leases are up, are lucky enough to find a friend to stay with, Boucher said. However, he said many still have to find a way to move and a place for storage.

Evan Rice, customer service representative for U-Haul in Carbondale, said students can take advantage of moving vehicles, trailers, storage spaces and boxes to alleviate inconvenient leases.

But students need to make reservations in advance in order to ensure availability, he said.

“Sometimes there can be as many as 30 people in line asking for trucks and trailers, but at this time of year, we simply don’t have them available at the last minute for more than a few hours,” Rice said.

Rice said storage facilities near the university experience sold out storage space, which forces students to travel further and spend more money to transport their belongings.

Companies in college towns such as Carbondale benefit from student populations, Rice said, so a collaboration between housing companies would be more convenient for students.

Rice, who has also experienced similar lease inconveniences, said students just have to be resourceful and find good friends to help them out.

“I understand why the housing companies don’t collaborate because essentially I’m taking my money somewhere else,” Davis said. “But the bottom line is that I’m basically homeless.”